SubjectRe: RFD: Does CONFIG_X86_LOCAL_APIC still make sense?

* H. Peter Anvin <hpa@zytor.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to wrap my head around if there are use cases where disabling
> either CONFIG_X86_UP_APIC or CONFIG_X86_LOCAL_APIC would ever make sense
> anymore.
>
> I am guessing there are probably some small number of embedded systems
> which still don't have LAPICs, but is it a significant number and does
> anyone care for new kernels? We are not talking about discontinuing
> support for non-APIC configurations, just the configuration option.

I guess it depends on the kernel size difference. If it's more than just a
few K then a patch will creep back via some CONFIG_EXPERT "reduce kernel
bloat" route.

The thing is, if we allow non-apic configurations then we have paid most
of the modularization, #ifdef and general maintenance price already.
Adding a Kconfig just makes it more testable and breakages more apparent.

Unless I missed some aspects of this that would allow us to simplify code
significantly that is.

Thanks,

Ingo

  Last update: 2013-10-11 09:01    [W:0.035 / U:0.444 seconds]