SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] 3.7-nohz1
From
2012/12/30 Paul E. McKenney <paulmck@linux.vnet.ibm.com>:
> On Mon, Dec 24, 2012 at 12:43:25AM +0100, Frederic Weisbecker wrote:

>> > Why? You can't have: rcu_nocbs=1-4 full_nohz=1-3
>>
>> That should be allowed.
>>
>> > or: rcu_nocbs=1-3 full_nohz=1-4 ?
>>
>> But that not.
>>
>> You need to have: rcu_nocbs & full_nohz == full_nohz. This is because
>> the tick is not there to maintain the local RCU callbacks anymore. So
>> this must be offloaded to the rcu_nocb threads.
>>
>> I just have a doubt with rcu_nocb. Do we still need the tick to
>> complete the grace period for local rcu callbacks? I need to discuss
>> that with Paul.
>
> The tick is only needed if rcu_needs_cpu() returns false. Of course,
> this means that if you don't invoke rcu_needs_cpu() before returning to
> adaptive-idle usermode execution, you are correct that a full_nohz CPU
> would also have to be a rcu_nocbs CPU.
>
> That said, I am getting close to having an rcu_needs_cpu() that only
> returns false if there are callbacks immediately ready to invoke, at
> least if RCU_FAST_NO_HZ=y.

Ok. Also when a CPU enqueues a callback and starts a grace period, the
tick polls on the grace period completion. How is it handled with
rcu_nocbs CPUs? Does rcu_needs_cpu() return false until the grace
period is completed? If so I still need to restart the local tick
whenever a new callback is enqueued.

Thanks.

  Last update: 2013-01-05 01:21    [W:0.406 / U:0.168 seconds]