Subjectshutdown with toshiba portege
Hey

I have a problem which seems to be related to shutdown for a Toshiba portege
(it's seems that the problem is also on other Toshiba, on VAIO cw5, you can
look at this thread on debian-user-french
http://lists.debian.org/debian-user-french/2012/08/msg00164.html
)

Symptoms (under 3.0, 3.1, 3.2, 3.3 and 3.5.2 and 3.5.4 amd64 kernels but not
with 2.6.37-486-PAE kernel) under a
TOSHIBA PORTEGE Z830/Portable PC, BIOS Version 1.60

If i shutdown the computer and wait some hours, the power consumption of the
computer is not null, it's about the same as the power consumtion during a
suspend of computer. In fact

Boot and halt with:
Windows 7 ---> No power consumption after
Linux 2.6.37-486-PAE ---> No power consumption after
Linux >= 3.0 ---> Power consumption (about 45-50 mW if acpitool is correct)

I try 3.0, 3.1, 3.2.0 (Debian wheezy kernel), 3.3, 3.5.2 and 3.5.4 kernels.
(System is a debian wheezy amd64 with (now) personnal kernel)

First I think it was something like Wake-On-Lan then Wake-on-WLan but I found
nothing (WLAN and WWLAN are disabled or not present)
Then I look on kernel source and I have found this in
arch/x86/kernel/apic/apic.c :

[...]
/*
* If Linux enabled the LAPIC against the BIOS default disable it down before
* re-entering the BIOS on shutdown. Otherwise the BIOS may get confused and
* not power-off. Additionally clear all LVT entries before disable_local_APIC
* for the case where Linux didn't enable the LAPIC.
*/
void lapic_shutdown(void)
{
[...]

I wonder if my problem is the problem describe here or something like. It
seems that computer can be shutdown but some peripherics not power off. So I
try to «trace» the shutdown process but I did not found the description a the
kernel way to shutdown the computer. It seems that it's

* Shutdown all CPUs execpt the CPU0
* Shutdown local APIC
* Shutdown computer
but perhaps the problem is before these opérations.

Where can I verify that all is really power off before shutdown (with
judicious printk for instance)

I try to look in kernel documentation but I did not found.

Thanks for any help or advices and sorry for noise if you think it is.

François Boisson