SubjectRe: runtime PM and special power switches
From
On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 3:13 PM, Dave Airlie <airlied@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 8:58 AM, Rafael J. Wysocki <rjw@sisk.pl> wrote:

>>> I'll have to investigate power domains then,
>>>
>>> The switch is hidden in many different places, one some laptops its in
>>> a ACPI _DSM on one GPU, on others its in an ACPI _DSM on the other
>>> one, in some its in a different ACPI _DSM, then we have it in the ACPI
>>> ATPX method on others, and finally Apple have it in a piece of hw that
>>> isn't just on the LPC bus or somewhere like that.
>>>
>>> Currently we just hide it all inside vga_switcheroo and I'd just need
>>> an interface to call that once the layers have stopped poking
>>> registers in PCI config space, if we could fix PCI runtime suspend so
>>> the driver was the last to g 2et called then that would also not suck.
>>
>> Well, as I said, we may try to change the PCI layer so that it doesn't
>> access the device any more in pci_pm_runtime_suspend() if it sees that
>> pci_dev->state_saved has been set by the driver's callback. Then,
>> your drivers would only need to set pci_dev->state_saved in their
>> .runtime_suspend() callbacks.
>>

> Actually it appears I'll need this, I'd forgotten things are a bit
> messier than I thought
>
> So there are two variants on the _DSM for nvidia dual-gpu machines,
> the older pre-optimus _DSM requires
> an explicit power off call post-D3, however for optimus _DSM the D3
> transition will flick the power switch, however
> the pci code then goes and seem to turn the device back to D0 for some
> reason. So yes after save state,
> I'd really appreciate if it the pci layer would stop poking my device.
>
>> Alternatively, which may be less hackish but more work, you can set the
>> pm_domain pointer in the device structure to a struct dev_pm_domain whose
>> ops will just call the corresponding bus type's ops except for
>> .runtime_suspend() that will execute the additional ACPI stuff after calling
>> the bus type's method.
>
> I've mostly written this, and it seems to work, I've jsut set a
> pm_domain in the vga switcheroo code that copies the dev->bus->pm
> into a private structure. I'll need this for the old nvidia and radeon
> poweroffs.

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~airlied/linux/log/?h=drm-opt-pwr
is my current WIP branch

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~airlied/linux/diff/drivers/gpu/vga/vga_switcheroo.c?h=drm-opt-pwr&id=8952007a8799a5b096d64a8217e3001e2ebed2ab
contains what I've done to override the 2 pms ops we need to override
for older GPUs

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~airlied/linux/commit/?h=drm-opt-pwr&id=005fdf5c184f9b857cbd8cb7195898d776f68670
is my current PCI workaround.

Dave.

  Last update: 2012-09-12 09:01    [W:0.073 / U:1.056 seconds]