SubjectLatency.
I have done some research on latency. I have config`d a linux kernel to
run 0.3ms reliable latency with audiostreams, under normal worksituations.
(An audioapp, and maybe some small tasks in between).

This also resulted in an extremely smooth gameplaying experience, like an
asm-programmed custom hardware arcade. (Why gamebox-developers isn`t using
this, is a mystery).

Recently I also tried to come as close to that experience on windows, and
found that win32priorityseparation on 25, all processes on idle, to avoid
cpu2 stalling cpu1, and minimal drivers, services, and processes gave a
similar experience. Windows btw, also gives lower latency, if one moves
windows, which one can use/abuse in a script/hack.

The feeling from low latency systems brings back the exhilaration of
custom hardware and assembly programming. It gives a different feel, and I
do believe it sets a high quality expectation to software and I wonder if
that is why the Amiga is said to have so much good software, and
responsible for it`s reputation.

My windows-partition now runs as good as an Amiga, and I managed to make
it run even better, reminding me of singletasking systems like Mac OS.

Games are just so much more fun with this. And the overall os is so much
more responsive.

More optimized stuff like Wayland will ofcourse even improve things more.

I do think that for "desktop" the focus should really be on low-latency
systems.
If "desktop" and "server" are the two different profiles you usually
config for in linux, how about two different standard configs? Or are
these merging aswell, since I would think multi-cpu servers appreciate low
os-jitter aswell?

Just some thoughts.

Peace Be With You.

  Last update: 2012-08-31 01:01    [W:0.046 / U:0.880 seconds]