    SubjectRe: UBI fastmap updates
    Richard,

    On Thu, 2012-08-02 at 18:32 +0200, Richard Weinberger wrote:
    > > This should not happen. Fastmap should _reserve_ enough of PEBs for it
    > > to operate. It should always find the PEB to write.
    >
    > What is the benefit?
    > IOW what is wrong with the current approach?

    Several reasons. The main is: fastmap will start consuming PEBs reserved
    for volumes when the amount of available PEBs is just enough to map all
    LEBs. This will break UBI liability.

    > Why?
    > If everything goes wrong, fastmap makes sure that no fastmap is on
    > flash.
    > In case of a powercut we fall back to scanning mode.
    > R/O mode is overkill IMHO.

    So can I interpret this the following way. Not only fastmap give no
    guarantees that it exists after an unclean reboot, it does not even give
    guarantees that it exists after a clean reboot.

    Unless I am confused, the fastmap design is over-simplified.

    --
    Best Regards,
    Artem Bityutskiy

      Last update: 2012-08-02 19:01    [W:0.033 / U:0.208 seconds]