SubjectRe: [RFC v2 7/7] modsig: build rules and scripts to generate keys and sign modules
On Fri, 2012-08-17 at 00:04 +0300, Kasatkin, Dmitry wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 11:31 PM, Josh Boyer <jwboyer@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Correct. It does not make sense to sign module if module support is disabled.
> >> But there scripts/genkey.sh and ksign.sh which works without Makefiles.
> >> So possible to generate keys and sign a module...
> >
> > Right, but it won't actually do anything if the config option isn't set.
> > Which means someone calling 'make signed_modules_install' won't actually
> > get signed modules. That's confusing.
> >

> Yes.. It had to be behind "ifeq CONFIG_INTEGRITY_MODULES"

> >> This is what "make modules_install" does. It uses existing private key
> >> and does not remove it after install.
> >
> > Right. I should have been more clear. I was suggesting that "make
> > modules_install" generate a key as well if one does not already exist.
> > Essentially removing the necessity for sign_modules_install.

> >> The reason for "signed_modules_install" is to limit existence of private key.
> >> Private key is generate just before install, modules installed and
> >> signed, then key is destroyed.
> >> So existence of private key is limited to "time make
> >> signed_modules_install" execution time.
> >>
> >> We had a debate about it, and strong message was that we might want to
> >> do it like that...
> >
> > I guess I personally don't see the need to destroy they key so quickly.
> > Is the concern that an intruder might grab the key and use it to sign a
> > module that the developer would then later on somehow load? Or
> > similarly someone would grab a temporary key from a distro build
> > machine? That limits the attack surface, sure, but I'm not sure it's
> > really reasonable.
> >
> > For a developer that isn't distributing kernels to others, it's just
> > adding more time to the compile (which I know can be disabled, but
> > still). For a distribution, most of them are either using a private
> > key already or they have a buildsystem that destroys a buildroot after
> > a build completes. The key is already going to be destroyed in that
> > scenario.
> >
> > josh
>
> Well... Will not argue here. I had similar opinion as well.
>
> Mimi strongly wanted really to "reduce" the existence time of the key...

The options are creating the key during 'make' or 'make
modules_install'. If you create the key during 'make', then you have no
way of knowing whether or not it is a persistent or ephemeral key, and
whether it should be deleted after signing the modules.

You could create a persistent key using 'make genkey', before 'make',
and never delete the private key. Then there wouldn't be any
overhead. :) If 'CONFIG_INTEGRITY_MODULE' is configured, 'make
modules_install' would use the existing key.

'make signed_modules_install' would be for creating and using ephemeral
keys.

What do you think?

Mimi

  Last update: 2012-08-17 03:41    [W:0.076 / U:0.692 seconds]