SubjectRe: [flame^Wreview] net: netprio_cgroup: rework update socket logic
On 8/12/2012 6:53 PM, Al Viro wrote:
> Ladies and gentlemen, who the devil had reviewed that little gem?
>
> commit 406a3c638ce8b17d9704052c07955490f732c2b8
> Author: John Fastabend <john.r.fastabend@intel.com>
> Date: Fri Jul 20 10:39:25 2012 +0000
>
> is a bleeding bogosity that doesn't pass even the most cursory
> inspection. It iterates through descriptor tables of a bunch
> of processes, doing this:
> file = fcheck_files(files, fd);
> if (!file)
> continue;
>
> path = d_path(&file->f_path, tmp, PAGE_SIZE);
> rv = sscanf(path, "socket:[%lu]", &s);
> if (rv <= 0)
> continue;
>
> sock = sock_from_file(file, &err);
> if (!err)
> sock_update_netprioidx(sock->sk, p);
> Note the charming use of sscanf() for pattern-matching. 's' (inode
> number of socket) is completely unused afterwards; what happens here
> is a very badly written attempt to skip non-sockets. Why, will
> sock_from_file() blow up on non-sockets? And isn't there some less
> obnoxious way to check that the file is a sockfs one? Let's see:
> struct socket *sock_from_file(struct file *file, int *err)
> {
> if (file->f_op == &socket_file_ops)
> return file->private_data; /* set in sock_map_fd */
>
> *err = -ENOTSOCK;
> return NULL;
> }
> ... and the first line is exactly that - a check that we are on sockfs.
> _Far_ less expensive one, at that, so it's not even that we are avoiding
> a costly test. In other words, all masturbation with d_path() is absolutely
> pointless.
>
> Furthermore, it's racy; had been even more so before the delayed fput series
> went in, but even now it's not safe. fcheck_files() does *NOT* guarantee
> that file is not getting closed right now. rcu_read_lock() prevents only
> freeing and potential reuse of struct file we'd got; it might go all the
> way through final fput() just as we look at it. So file->f_path is not
> protected by anything. Worse yet, neither is struct socket itself - we
> might be going through sock_release() at the same time, so sock->sk might
> very well be NULL, leaving us a oops even after we dump d_path() idiocy.
>
> To make it even funnier, there's such thing as SCM_RIGHTS datagrams and
> descriptor passing. In other words, it's *not* going to catch all sockets
> that would be caught by the earlier variant.

OK clearly I screwed it up thanks for reviewing Al. How about this.

fdt = files_fdtable(files);
for (fd = 0; fd < fdt->max_fds; fd++) {
struct socket *sock;
int err = 0;

sock = sockfd_lookup(fd, &err);
if (!sock) {
lock_sock(sock->sk);
sock_update_netprioidx(sock->sk, p);
release_sock(sock->sk);
sockfd_put(sock);
}
}

sockfd_lookup will call fget() and also test file->f_op. testing this
now.

  Last update: 2012-08-13 08:43    [W:0.078 / U:0.112 seconds]