    SubjectRe: Fwd: Hid over I2C and ACPI interaction
    On 2012年07月06日 13:52, Mika Westerberg wrote:
    > On Thu, Jul 05, 2012 at 03:01:57PM +0800, Zhang Rui wrote:
    >> +Note that although these are ACPI devices, we prefer to use PnP drivers
    >> for them,
    >> +this is because:
    >> +1. all the non-ACPI-predefined Devices are exported as PnP devices as
    >> well
    >> +2. PnP bus is a well designed bus. Probing via PnP layer saves a lot of
    >> work
    >> + for the device driver, e.g. getting& parsing ACPI resources.
    > (Nice BKM, thanks for sharing)
    > I have few questions about using PnP drivers instead of pure ACPI drivers.
    > ACPI 5.0 defined some new resources, for example "Fixed DMA descriptor"
    > that has information about the request line + channel for the device to
    > use. Hovewer, PnP drivers pass resources as 'struct resource', which
    > basically only has start and end - how do you represent all this new stuff
    > using 'struct resource'?
    I think we can add new interface to get acpi specific resources. e.g
    struct acpi_resource pnp_get_acpi_resource(...). When the pnp acpi devices
    were initialized, put those acpi specific resources into a new resource list
    pnpdev->acpi_resources. What pnp_get_acpi_resource does is to get specified
    type acpi resources and return. We also need to define some acpi resource types.

    How about this? welcome to comments.

    > Or should we use acpi_walk_resources() where 'struct resource' is not
    > suitable?

    Best Regards
    Tianyu Lan
    linux kernel enabling team

      Last update: 2012-07-09 06:21    [W:0.025 / U:16.072 seconds]