SubjectRe: 3.5 stable compat-wireless
On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 4:08 PM, Greg KH <gregkh@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 05, 2012 at 12:08:01PM -0700, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
>> * linux-crap.git: based on linux-next-pending.git and allows
>> contributors to send pull requests of crap that is not *ready*
>> to be sent properly upstream. Examples would be code we know
>> we simply already know that is not dealing with proper architecture
>> or style / etc. The drivers/staging/ allows vendors to post full
>> crap drivers, this would enable us to merge crap patches but that
>> some vendors might need / want.
>
> I really doubt this will work, look at the patches in some distros for
> examples of why. I'm having a hard enough time with the LTSI project in
> conveying that "Yes, you can send patches to me for merging into the
> LSTI kernel, you still have to justify it, and work to get the patches
> then upstream, I'm not going to do your work for you."
>
> Having a random tree where these patches show up help no one except the
> original developer so that they can fire-and-forget, which is not what
> you want, unless you wish to take on the "get it cleaned up and merged
> upstream" task yourself, which you really don't want to.

Ah but that's the trick with the metrics. Kind of like with kernel
contribution statistics we should be able to show *who* is working
with *crap*, and see if the delta is reducing. Without this -- such
entities are just keeping the *crap* to themselves anyway, and in fact
given that there is no outlet they work on private outlets. I'd like
to not do the work for them but -- to enable that crap to become
public and for me to prod on with a stick to shrink crap but to also
understand it. The other thing about the technique here is that each
release is annotated to reflect *where* delta is pulled from.
Distributions / system integrators can then cringe if they are asked
to use releases with crap delta, or they may very well be OK with it.

Something similar had happened with hostapd -- if we have no outlet
for "crap" then the only option is to not make it public. This doesn't
get us anywhere. As much as I'd love assume we can live in a world
where no delta is required experience so far is showing there are some
*reasonable* justifications for some of these deltas. But without
enabling them -- we can't study them, or prod to correct them.

Luis

  Last update: 2012-07-06 01:41    [W:0.214 / U:0.012 seconds]