SubjectRe: [ibm-acpi-devel] ethernet-related thermal emergency on Thinkpad x60
On Wed, 04 Jul 2012, Pavel Machek wrote:
> When using nework interface (eth0), machine starts to behave
> weird. Like... complete freeze, then poweroff, then it hangs on boot
> (initializing ACPI) until I let it to cool down... and I'm not even
> using gigabit speed.
>
> Did anyone see it? Any ideas? Should I attempt to open it and clean
> the dust?

Opening it up and cleaning things is always a good idea. Some intel
boxes have the GbEth MAC inside the chipset, so it is also worth
checking whether the thermal contact between heatsink and chipset is
operating properly (or just replace the old thermal compounts with Artic
Silver 5 or some other non-reactive, extremely high quality compound
that is suitable for the rapid thermal cycles of laptops).

> thinkpad_acpi: THERMAL EMERGENCY: a sensor reports something is extremely hot!
> thinkpad_acpi: temperatures (Celsius): 88 49 N/A 82 40 N/A 40 N/A 52 61 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A

My guess is that the 82°C reading on the fourth sensor is the problem,
althouhg the CPU is also quite hot. That sensor is usually the GPU, but
if your thinkpad has an integrated GPU, it is likely to have been used
for the northbridge/chipset.

It can also be a shortcircuity in the ethernet PHY (either the chip, or
some of the analog auxiliary circuitry). This is repairable by an
skilled surface-mount technician if he can get his hands in the
schematics and source the replacement components, but if you ask Lenovo
about it, they will want to replace your entire planar card
(motherboard)...

Henrique Holschuh