SubjectRe: [BUG] NTFS code doesn't sanitize folder names sufficiently
Marian Beermann wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> today I noticed some very odd behaviour, which could lead people to
> believe a loss of data, because it is possible to create directories
> with backslashes in them.
>
> I am currently running kernel 3.5.
>
> To completly reproduce the problem to the full extend you'll need a
> Windows computer, but to see whats wrong Linux completly suffices :-)
>
> On a Linux computer
> 1. Create a directory named TestA on an NTFS partition
> 2. Create a subdirectory of TestA named TestB
> 3. Create a third directory alongside TestA named TestA\TestB (the
> fundamental problem is this: backslashes in directory names)
>
> Connect the drive containing the NTFS partition now to a Windows
> computer and navigate to the directory containing TestA and
> TestA\TestB. If you navigate to the folder (not path!) TestA\TestB
> you'll actually see the contents of the path TestA\TestB (the
> subfolder TestB) and not the contents of the directory.
> It is not possible on a Windows machine to access the contents of the
> directory named TestA\TestB. This is not a bug in Windows, it's caused
> by a bug in the NTFS driver, which allows illegal characters.
>
> The solution to this would be to disallow creation of files and
> folders on NTFS drives containing illegal characters.
>
> Best regards
> Marian Beermann

Yeah that's a tough one. I wouldn't exactly call it a bug. There's
probably lots of stuff like this you could do that the command line
would allow you to perform but not be a correct and intended function. I
would put this down to user error rather than a bug. Anyone with
knowledge of operating systems and file system structuring should know
that / or \ are illegal characters for creating a directories. Whether
it be on Windows or Linux.

Regards

--
Chris Jones @ kernel.devproject@gmail.com
also on oracle.kerneldev@gmail.com and netbsd.kerneldev@gmail.com

OpenSUSE 12.1 (IceWM/zsh) (PC)|Android 4.0.3 (Smartphone)|Windows 7 (Laptop)|Windows XP (Gaming)
Linux kernel developer|Solaris kernel developer|BSD kernel developer
Lead Developer of SDL|Lead Developer of Nest Linux|Gamer and Emulator nut|Web Services|Digital Imaging Services
Controllers: Rapier V2 Gaming mouse|Logitech Precision|PS3 controller|XB360 controller|Logitech Attack 3 j/stick
Emulators: Fusion|Gens|ZSNES|Project64|PCSX-R|Stella|WinVICE|WinUAE|DOSBox

PGP Fingerprint: 4E38 0776 B380 63C8 F64F
A7D6 736C CF56 42A4 FB35

  Last update: 2012-07-27 07:41    [W:0.078 / U:0.512 seconds]