SubjectRe: linux-next: manual merge of the staging tree with the target-merge tree
On Mon, 2012-07-23 at 08:16 -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 22, 2012 at 02:44:23PM -0700, Nicholas A. Bellinger wrote:
> > So Linus has merged target-pending/for-next this afternoon, so now we
> > are just waiting on net-next to hit mainline with the vhost patches
> > already ACK'ed by MST. Hopefully that makes things easier for you to
> > considering taking tcm_vhost upstream via staging. ;)
> >
> > Also, MST asked for an RFC-v5 for the initial merge commit with some
> > minor debug wrapper changes that will be going out next week. This will
> > include a move into drivers/staging/tcm_vhost/ against a rebased
> > staging.git patch with the necessary -rc0 mainline dependencies.
> >
> > Please let me know if your OK with this, otherwise I'll just plan to
> > keep -v5 against target-pending/for-next-merge for now, and send a GIT
> > PULL after MST gets back from holiday on the 29th -> 30th.
>
> I have no idea what any of the above three paragraphs are asking for, or
> talking about, sorry.
>
> Note, the merge window is closed for taking new stuff into the staging
> tree. If it isn't already in my staging-next tree, it isn't going to go
> into 3.6 unless it's bug fixes, sorry.

In that case, I'll just keep tcm_vhost in drivers/vhost/ for now and
await MST's return to determine if he's willing to ACK this round (via
target-pending) for an initial merge.

> How about we figure all of this
> out after 3.6-rc1 is out so we can understand what is going on for 3.7?

I'd like to try to avoid slipping to v3.7 if possible, as we'll have the
necessary dependencies in mainline over the next days once net-next is
merged. It's also self-contained driver that does not effect existing
code (aside from what's already been ACK'ed), so risk is very low..

--nab

  Last update: 2012-07-23 22:41    [W:0.876 / U:0.144 seconds]