SubjectRe: [git pull] vfs.git; pile 1
I'm not pulling this until the mess with the NFS tree is sorted out.
Apparently you rebased your (public!) VFS tree, and now half of your
old pre-rebase patches are in the NFS tree.

Rebasing public trees IS NOT A VALID OPERATION! Exactly because of
messes like this.

So no. No way am I pulling a big VFS tree that apparently has random
unknown aliased commits in other trees.

Linus

On Sun, Jul 22, 2012 at 3:09 AM, Al Viro <viro@zeniv.linux.org.uk> wrote:
> This one is *big* and changes quite a few things around VFS. What's in there:
>
> * the first of two really major architecture changes - death to
> open intents. The former is finally there; it was very long in making,
> but with Miklos getting through really hard and messy final push in
> fs/namei.c, we finally have it. Unlike his variant, this one doesn't
> introduce struct opendata; what we have instead is ->atomic_open()
> taking preallocated struct file * and passing everything via its fields.
> Instead of returning struct file *, it returns -E... on error, 0 on success
> and 1 in "deal with it yourself" case (e.g. symlink found on server,
> etc.). See comments before fs/namei.c:atomic_open(). That made a lot of
> goodies finally possible and quite a few are in that pile: ->lookup(),
> ->d_revalidate() and ->create() do not get struct nameidata * anymore;
> ->lookup() and ->d_revalidate() get lookup flags instead, ->create()
> gets "do we want it exclusive" flag. With the introduction of new helper
> (kern_path_locked()) we are rid of all struct nameidata instances outside
> of fs/namei.c; it's still visible in namei.h, but not for long. Come the
> next cycle, declaration will move either to fs/internal.h or to fs/namei.c
> itself. [me, miklos, hch]
>
> * the second major change: behaviour of final fput(). Now we
> have __fput() done without any locks held by caller *and* not from deep
> in call stack. That obviously lifts a lot of constraints on the locking
> in there. Moreover, it's legal now to call fput() from atomic contexts
> (which has immediately simplified life for aio.c). We also don't need
> anti-recursion logics in __scm_destroy() anymore. There is a price,
> though - the damn thing has become partially asynchronous. For fput()
> from normal process we are guaranteed that pending __fput() will be done
> before the caller returns to userland, exits or gets stopped for ptrace.
> For kernel threads and atomic contexts it's done via schedule_work(),
> so theoretically we might need a way to make sure it's finished; so far
> only one such place had been found, but there might be more. There's
> flush_delayed_fput() (do all pending __fput()) and there's __fput_sync()
> (fput() analog doing __fput() immediately). I hope we won't need them
> often; see warnings in fs/file_table.c for details. [me, based on task_work
> series from Oleg merged last cycle]
>
> * sync series from Jan
>
> * large part of "death to sync_supers()" work from Artem; the only
> bits missing here are exofs and ext4 ones. As far as I understand, those
> are going via the exofs and ext4 trees resp.; once they are in, we can
> put ->write_super() to the rest, along with the thread calling it.
>
> * preparatory bits from unionmount series (from dhowells).
>
> * assorted cleanups and fixes all over the place, as usual.
>
> This is not the last pile for this cycle; there's at least jlayton's
> ESTALE work and fsfreeze series (the latter - in dire need of
> [...]

  Last update: 2012-07-22 20:21    [W:0.060 / U:0.392 seconds]