Subject[git pull] vfs.git; pile 1
This one is *big* and changes quite a few things around VFS.  What's in there:

* the first of two really major architecture changes - death to
open intents. The former is finally there; it was very long in making,
but with Miklos getting through really hard and messy final push in
fs/namei.c, we finally have it. Unlike his variant, this one doesn't
introduce struct opendata; what we have instead is ->atomic_open()
taking preallocated struct file * and passing everything via its fields.
Instead of returning struct file *, it returns -E... on error, 0 on success
and 1 in "deal with it yourself" case (e.g. symlink found on server,
etc.). See comments before fs/namei.c:atomic_open(). That made a lot of
goodies finally possible and quite a few are in that pile: ->lookup(),
->d_revalidate() and ->create() do not get struct nameidata * anymore;
->lookup() and ->d_revalidate() get lookup flags instead, ->create()
gets "do we want it exclusive" flag. With the introduction of new helper
(kern_path_locked()) we are rid of all struct nameidata instances outside
of fs/namei.c; it's still visible in namei.h, but not for long. Come the
next cycle, declaration will move either to fs/internal.h or to fs/namei.c
itself. [me, miklos, hch]

* the second major change: behaviour of final fput(). Now we
have __fput() done without any locks held by caller *and* not from deep
in call stack. That obviously lifts a lot of constraints on the locking
in there. Moreover, it's legal now to call fput() from atomic contexts
(which has immediately simplified life for aio.c). We also don't need
anti-recursion logics in __scm_destroy() anymore. There is a price,
though - the damn thing has become partially asynchronous. For fput()
from normal process we are guaranteed that pending __fput() will be done
before the caller returns to userland, exits or gets stopped for ptrace.
For kernel threads and atomic contexts it's done via schedule_work(),
so theoretically we might need a way to make sure it's finished; so far
only one such place had been found, but there might be more. There's
flush_delayed_fput() (do all pending __fput()) and there's __fput_sync()
(fput() analog doing __fput() immediately). I hope we won't need them
often; see warnings in fs/file_table.c for details. [me, based on task_work
series from Oleg merged last cycle]

* sync series from Jan

* large part of "death to sync_supers()" work from Artem; the only
bits missing here are exofs and ext4 ones. As far as I understand, those
are going via the exofs and ext4 trees resp.; once they are in, we can
put ->write_super() to the rest, along with the thread calling it.

* preparatory bits from unionmount series (from dhowells).

* assorted cleanups and fixes all over the place, as usual.

This is not the last pile for this cycle; there's at least jlayton's
ESTALE work and fsfreeze series (the latter - in dire need of
fixes, so I'm not sure it'll make the cut this cycle). I'll
probably throw symlink/hardlink restrictions stuff from Kees into
the next pile, too. Plus there's a lot of misc patches I hadn't
thrown into that one - it's large enough as it is...

Please, pull from the usual place -
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/viro/vfs.git for-linus

Shortlog:
Al Viro (61):
get rid of ->mnt_longterm
get rid of magic in proc_namespace.c
qnx6: don't bother with ->i_dentry in inode-freeing callback
cifs: don't bother with ->i_dentry in ->destroy_inode()
adfs: don't bother with ->i_dentry in ->destroy_inode()
vfs: update documentation on ->i_dentry handling
affs: get rid of open-coded list_for_each_entry()
affs: unobfuscate affs_fix_dcache()
ocfs2: use list_for_each_entry in ocfs2_find_local_alias()
ext4: get rid of open-coded d_find_any_alias()
vfs: switch i_dentry/d_alias to hlist
coda: use list_for_each_entry
namei.c: let follow_link() do put_link() on failure
->atomic_open() prototype change - pass int * instead of bool *
don't modify od->filp at all
make ->atomic_open() return int
kill opendata->{mnt,dentry}
kill struct opendata
fs/namei.c: get do_last() and friends return int
make finish_no_open() return int
switch do_dentry_open() to returning int
fold __dentry_open() into its sole caller
do_dentry_open(): take initialization of file->f_path to caller
switch nfs_lookup_check_intent() away from nameidata
nfs_lookup_verify_inode() - nd is *always* non-NULL here
fs/nfs/dir.c: switch to passing nd->flags instead of nd wherever possible
stop passing nameidata * to ->d_revalidate()
fs/namei.c: don't pass nameidata to d_revalidate()
fs/namei.c: don't pass namedata to lookup_dcache()
stop passing nameidata to ->lookup()
fs/namei.c: don't pass nameidata to __lookup_hash() and lookup_real()
don't pass nameidata to ->create()
don't pass nameidata * to vfs_create()
get rid of kern_path_parent()
sysfs: switch to ->s_d_op and ->d_release()
sysfs: just use d_materialise_unique()
__d_unalias() should refuse to move mountpoints
debugfs: make sure that debugfs_create_file() gets used only for regulars
debugfs: fold debugfs_create_by_name() into the only caller
debugfs: get rid of useless arguments to debugfs_{mkdir,symlink}
mark_files_ro(): don't bother with mntget/mntput
do_dentry_open(): close the race with mark_files_ro() in failure exit
signal: make sure we don't get stopped with pending task_work
trimming task_work: kill ->data
trim task_work: get rid of hlist
merge task_work and rcu_head, get rid of separate allocation for keyring case
move exit_task_work() past exit_files() et.al.
deal with task_work callbacks adding more work
switch fput to task_work_add
aio: now fput() is OK from interrupt context; get rid of manual delayed __fput()
get rid of ->scm_work_list
hold task_lock around checks in keyctl
unobfuscate follow_up() a bit
tidy up namei.c a bit
don't expose I_NEW inodes via dentry->d_inode
ecryptfs: don't reinvent the wheels, please - use struct completion
zoran: don't bother with struct file * in zoran_map
spufs: shift dget/mntget towards dentry_open()
switch dentry_open() to struct path, make it grab references itself
btrfs: switch btrfs_ioctl_balance() to mnt_want_write_file()
ext4: switch EXT4_IOC_RESIZE_FS to mnt_want_write_file()

Andrew Morton (1):
notify_change(): check that i_mutex is held

Artem Bityutskiy (23):
affs: stop setting bm_flags
affs: remove useless superblock writeout on unmount
affs: remove useless superblock writeout on remount
affs: re-structure superblock locking a bit
affs: stop using lock_super
affs: introduce VFS superblock object back-reference
affs: get rid of affs_sync_super
hfsplus: make hfsplus_sync_fs static
hfsplus: amend debugging print
hfsplus: remove useless check
hfsplus: get rid of write_super
hfs: push lock_super down
hfs: get rid of lock_super
hfs: remove extra mdb write on unmount
hfs: simplify a bit checking for R/O
hfs: introduce VFS superblock object back-reference
hfs: get rid of hfs_sync_super
fs/sysv: remove useless write_super call
fs/sysv: remove another useless write_super call
fs/sysv: stop using write_super and s_dirt
fs/ufs: remove extra superblock write on unmount
fs/ufs: re-arrange the code a bit
fs/ufs: get rid of write_super

Christoph Hellwig (2):
fs: move path_put on failure out of ->follow_link
fs: add nd_jump_link

David Howells (6):
VFS: Fix the banner comment on lookup_open()
VFS: Make chown() and lchown() call fchownat()
VFS: Make clone_mnt()/copy_tree()/collect_mounts() return errors
VFS: Comment mount following code
VFS: Pass mount flags to sget()
VFS: Split inode_permission()

Eric Sandeen (3):
vfs: allow custom EOF in generic_file_llseek code
ext4: use core vfs llseek code for dir seeks
ext3: pass custom EOF to generic_file_llseek_size()

Jan Kara (8):
vfs: Move noop_backing_dev_info check from sync into writeback
quota: Split dquot_quota_sync() to writeback and cache flushing part
quota: Move quota syncing to ->sync_fs method
vfs: Reorder operations during sys_sync
vfs: Create function for iterating over block devices
vfs: Make sys_sync writeout also block device inodes
vfs: Remove unnecessary flushing of block devices
vfs: Avoid unnecessary WB_SYNC_NONE writeback during sys_sync and reorder sync passes

Julia Lawall (1):
fs/direct-io.c: adjust suspicious bit operation

Miklos Szeredi (21):
vfs: do_last(): inline lookup_slow()
vfs: do_last(): separate O_CREAT specific code
vfs: do_last(): common slow lookup
vfs: add lookup_open()
vfs: lookup_open(): expand lookup_hash()
vfs: add i_op->atomic_open()
nfs: implement i_op->atomic_open()
nfs: clean up ->create in nfs_rpc_ops
nfs: don't use nd->intent.open.flags
nfs: don't use intents for checking atomic open
fuse: implement i_op->atomic_open()
cifs: implement i_op->atomic_open()
ceph: remove unused arg from ceph_lookup_open()
ceph: implement i_op->atomic_open()
9p: implement i_op->atomic_open()
vfs: remove open intents from nameidata
vfs: do_last(): clean up error handling
vfs: do_last(): clean up labels
vfs: do_last(): clean up bool
vfs: do_last(): clean up retry
vfs: move O_DIRECT check to common code

Diffstat:
Documentation/filesystems/Locking | 11 +-
Documentation/filesystems/porting | 21 +-
Documentation/filesystems/vfs.txt | 23 +-
arch/powerpc/platforms/cell/spufs/inode.c | 48 +--
drivers/base/devtmpfs.c | 100 ++--
drivers/media/video/zoran/zoran.h | 4 +-
drivers/media/video/zoran/zoran_driver.c | 4 +-
drivers/mtd/mtdsuper.c | 4 +-
fs/9p/v9fs.h | 2 +-
fs/9p/vfs_dentry.c | 4 +-
fs/9p/vfs_inode.c | 170 ++++---
fs/9p/vfs_inode_dotl.c | 59 ++-
fs/9p/vfs_super.c | 4 +-
fs/adfs/dir.c | 2 +-
fs/adfs/super.c | 1 -
fs/affs/affs.h | 11 +-
fs/affs/amigaffs.c | 22 +-
fs/affs/bitmap.c | 4 +-
fs/affs/namei.c | 4 +-
fs/affs/super.c | 68 ++-
fs/afs/dir.c | 14 +-
fs/afs/mntpt.c | 4 +-
fs/afs/super.c | 3 +-
fs/aio.c | 73 +---
fs/attr.c | 3 +-
fs/autofs4/dev-ioctl.c | 4 +-
fs/autofs4/root.c | 4 +-
fs/bad_inode.c | 4 +-
fs/befs/linuxvfs.c | 4 +-
fs/bfs/dir.c | 4 +-
fs/block_dev.c | 36 ++
fs/btrfs/inode.c | 6 +-
fs/btrfs/ioctl.c | 4 +-
fs/btrfs/super.c | 4 +-
fs/cachefiles/namei.c | 2 +-
fs/cachefiles/rdwr.c | 8 +-
fs/ceph/dir.c | 77 ++--
fs/ceph/file.c | 26 +-
fs/ceph/super.c | 2 +-
fs/ceph/super.h | 6 +-
fs/cifs/cifsfs.c | 11 +-
fs/cifs/cifsfs.h | 7 +-
fs/cifs/dir.c | 448 +++++++++--------
fs/cifs/inode.c | 5 +-
fs/coda/cache.c | 10 +-
fs/coda/dir.c | 14 +-
fs/configfs/dir.c | 2 +-
fs/cramfs/inode.c | 2 +-
fs/dcache.c | 44 +-
fs/debugfs/inode.c | 91 ++--
fs/devpts/inode.c | 6 +-
fs/direct-io.c | 2 +-
fs/ecryptfs/dentry.c | 20 +-
fs/ecryptfs/ecryptfs_kernel.h | 14 -
fs/ecryptfs/inode.c | 9 +-
fs/ecryptfs/kthread.c | 73 +--
fs/ecryptfs/main.c | 8 +-
fs/efs/efs.h | 2 +-
fs/efs/namei.c | 3 +-
fs/exofs/namei.c | 4 +-
fs/exportfs/expfs.c | 16 +-
fs/ext2/namei.c | 8 +-
fs/ext2/super.c | 6 +
fs/ext3/dir.c | 3 +-
fs/ext3/namei.c | 8 +-
fs/ext3/super.c | 5 +
fs/ext4/dir.c | 75 +---
fs/ext4/file.c | 9 +-
fs/ext4/fsync.c | 11 +-
fs/ext4/ioctl.c | 4 +-
fs/ext4/namei.c | 8 +-
fs/ext4/super.c | 5 +
fs/fat/namei_msdos.c | 4 +-
fs/fat/namei_vfat.c | 16 +-
fs/file_table.c | 81 +++-
fs/freevxfs/vxfs_lookup.c | 4 +-
fs/fs-writeback.c | 5 +
fs/fs_struct.c | 32 +-
fs/fuse/dir.c | 99 +++--
fs/gfs2/dentry.c | 6 +-
fs/gfs2/inode.c | 7 +-
fs/gfs2/ops_fstype.c | 5 +-
fs/gfs2/quota.c | 4 +-
fs/gfs2/quota.h | 2 +-
fs/gfs2/super.c | 4 +-
fs/gfs2/sys.c | 2 +-
fs/hfs/dir.c | 4 +-
fs/hfs/extent.c | 2 +-
fs/hfs/hfs_fs.h | 15 +-
fs/hfs/inode.c | 16 +-
fs/hfs/mdb.c | 13 +
fs/hfs/super.c | 73 ++--
fs/hfs/sysdep.c | 4 +-
fs/hfsplus/bitmap.c | 4 +-
fs/hfsplus/dir.c | 6 +-
fs/hfsplus/hfsplus_fs.h | 7 +-
fs/hfsplus/inode.c | 8 +-
fs/hfsplus/super.c | 46 ++-
fs/hostfs/hostfs_kern.c | 4 +-
fs/hpfs/dir.c | 2 +-
fs/hpfs/hpfs_fn.h | 2 +-
fs/hpfs/namei.c | 2 +-
fs/hppfs/hppfs.c | 22 +-
fs/hugetlbfs/inode.c | 2 +-
fs/inode.c | 2 +-
fs/internal.h | 10 +-
fs/isofs/isofs.h | 2 +-
fs/isofs/namei.c | 2 +-
fs/jffs2/dir.c | 16 +-
fs/jfs/namei.c | 18 +-
fs/jfs/super.c | 5 +
fs/libfs.c | 6 +-
fs/logfs/dir.c | 4 +-
fs/logfs/super.c | 3 +-
fs/minix/namei.c | 4 +-
fs/mount.h | 13 +-
fs/namei.c | 808 ++++++++++++++++++++---------
fs/namespace.c | 195 ++++----
fs/ncpfs/dir.c | 14 +-
fs/nfs/dir.c | 314 +++++-------
fs/nfs/getroot.c | 2 +-
fs/nfs/nfs3proc.c | 2 +-
fs/nfs/nfs4proc.c | 37 +-
fs/nfs/proc.c | 2 +-
fs/nfs/super.c | 2 +-
fs/nfsd/vfs.c | 14 +-
fs/nilfs2/namei.c | 4 +-
fs/nilfs2/super.c | 4 +-
fs/notify/fanotify/fanotify_user.c | 8 +-
fs/notify/fsnotify.c | 3 +-
fs/ntfs/namei.c | 2 +-
fs/ocfs2/dcache.c | 22 +-
fs/ocfs2/dlmfs/dlmfs.c | 2 +-
fs/ocfs2/namei.c | 4 +-
fs/omfs/dir.c | 4 +-
fs/open.c | 213 +++------
fs/openpromfs/inode.c | 4 +-
fs/pnode.c | 5 +-
fs/proc/base.c | 51 +-
fs/proc/generic.c | 2 +-
fs/proc/internal.h | 6 +-
fs/proc/namespaces.c | 4 +-
fs/proc/proc_net.c | 2 +-
fs/proc/proc_sysctl.c | 6 +-
fs/proc/root.c | 10 +-
fs/proc_namespace.c | 7 +-
fs/qnx4/namei.c | 2 +-
fs/qnx4/qnx4.h | 2 +-
fs/qnx6/inode.c | 1 -
fs/qnx6/namei.c | 2 +-
fs/qnx6/qnx6.h | 2 +-
fs/quota/dquot.c | 24 +-
fs/quota/quota.c | 4 +-
fs/ramfs/inode.c | 2 +-
fs/read_write.c | 18 +-
fs/reiserfs/namei.c | 12 +-
fs/reiserfs/procfs.c | 2 +-
fs/reiserfs/super.c | 5 +
fs/reiserfs/xattr.c | 4 +-
fs/romfs/super.c | 2 +-
fs/squashfs/namei.c | 2 +-
fs/super.c | 22 +-
fs/sync.c | 63 ++-
fs/sysfs/dir.c | 31 +-
fs/sysfs/mount.c | 4 +-
fs/sysfs/sysfs.h | 1 +
fs/sysv/inode.c | 18 +-
fs/sysv/namei.c | 4 +-
fs/sysv/sysv.h | 1 -
fs/ubifs/dir.c | 4 +-
fs/ubifs/super.c | 3 +-
fs/udf/namei.c | 4 +-
fs/ufs/balloc.c | 8 +-
fs/ufs/ialloc.c | 4 +-
fs/ufs/namei.c | 4 +-
fs/ufs/super.c | 148 +++---
fs/ufs/ufs.h | 5 +
fs/ufs/ufs_fs.h | 1 +
fs/xfs/xfs_ioctl.c | 7 +-
fs/xfs/xfs_iops.c | 6 +-
include/linux/dcache.h | 4 +-
include/linux/file.h | 3 +
include/linux/fs.h | 33 +-
include/linux/namei.h | 18 +-
include/linux/nfs_xdr.h | 2 +-
include/linux/quota.h | 2 +-
include/linux/quotaops.h | 8 +-
include/linux/sched.h | 3 +-
include/linux/task_work.h | 18 +-
include/linux/tracehook.h | 2 +-
include/linux/types.h | 9 +-
include/net/scm.h | 1 -
init/main.c | 3 +-
ipc/mqueue.c | 119 ++---
kernel/audit_tree.c | 10 +-
kernel/audit_watch.c | 25 +-
kernel/cgroup.c | 6 +-
kernel/exit.c | 6 +-
kernel/fork.c | 2 +-
kernel/irq/manage.c | 6 +-
kernel/signal.c | 15 +
kernel/task_work.c | 94 ++--
mm/shmem.c | 2 +-
net/core/scm.c | 22 +-
security/keys/internal.h | 2 +-
security/keys/keyctl.c | 26 +-
security/keys/process_keys.c | 5 +-
security/selinux/hooks.c | 3 +-
security/selinux/include/security.h | 2 +-
security/selinux/selinuxfs.c | 6 +-

  Last update: 2012-07-22 12:41    [W:0.069 / U:1.020 seconds]