SubjectRe: [RFC] [TCP 0/3] Receive from socket into bio without copying
From
On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 12:06 PM, Andreas Gruenbacher <agruen@linbit.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-07-02 at 15:54 +0200, Eric Dumazet wrote:
>> So I will just say no to your patches, unless you demonstrate the
>> splice() problems, and how you can fix the alignment problem in a new
>> layer instead of in the existing zero copy standard one.
>
> Again, splice or not is not the issue here. It does not, by itself, allow zero
> copy from the network directly to disk but it could likely be made to support
> that if we can get the alignment right first. The proposed MSG_NEW_PACKET flag
> helps with that, but maybe someone has a better idea.

Eric - by using splice do you mean something like:

int filedes[2];
PIPE_SIZE (64*1024)
pipe(filedes);
ret = splice (sock_fd_from, &from_offset, filedes [1], NULL, PIPE_SIZE,
SPLICE_F_MORE | SPLICE_F_MOVE);

ret = splice (filedes [0], NULL, file_fd_to,
&to_offset, ret,
SPLICE_F_MORE | SPLICE_F_MOVE);

i.e. splice-in from socket to pipe, and splice-out from pipe to destination?

Andreas - if the above assumption is true then can you apply the
'MSG_NEW_PACKET' on the sender and see if the above pseudo-splice code
achieves something similar to what you expect on the receive side(you
can also play w/ F_SETPIPE_SZ - although I found very little
reduction in CPU usage)? Note: My personal experience - using splice
from an input-file-A to output-file-B bought very minimal cpu
reduction(yes, both the files used O_DIRECT). Instead, a simple
read/write w/ O_DIRECT from file-A to file-B was much much faster.

Chetan

  Last update: 2012-07-02 22:21    [W:1.159 / U:0.348 seconds]