SubjectRe: question about IO-sched
From

http://kerneltrap.org/node/4941 explains sync_page:

> ->sync_page() is an awful misnomer. Usually, when page IO operation is
> requested by calling ->writepage() or ->readpage(), file-system queues
> IO request (e.g., disk-based file system may do this my calling
> submit_bio()), but underlying device driver does not proceed with this
> IO immediately, because IO scheduling is more efficient when there are
> multiple requests in the queue.
> Only when something really wants to wait for IO completion
> (wait_on_page_{locked,writeback}() are used to wait for read and write
> completion respectively) IO queue is processed. To do this
> wait_on_page_bit() calls ->sync_page() (see block_sync_page()---standard
> implementation of ->sync_page() for disk-based file systems).
> So, semantics of ->sync_page() are roughly "kick underlying storage
> driver to actually perform all IO queued for this page, and, maybe, for
> other pages on this device too".

It is expected that sys_read will wait until the data is available for
the process.
If you don't want to wait (because you can do other stuff in the mean
time, including queuing other I/O operations), you can use aio_read.
The kernel will notify your process when the operation completes and
the data is available in memory.

Thanks,
Corrado

> 在 Fri, 13 Jul 2012 22:15:31 +0800,Corrado Zoccolo <czoccolo@gmail.com> 写道:
>
>> Hi,
>> the catch is that writes are "fire and forget", so they keep accumulating
>> in the I/O sched, and there is always plenty of them to schedule (unless
>> you explicitly make sync writes).
>>
>> The reader, instead, waits for the result of each read operation before
>> scheduling a new read, so there is at most one outstanding read, and some
>> time nothing.
>>
>> The deadline scheduler is work conserving, meaning that it never leaves
>> the
>> disk idle when there is work queued, and most of the time after an
>> operation completes, there is only write work queued, so you see much
>> more
>> writes being sent to the device.
>>
>> Only schedulers that delay writes waiting for reads (as Anticipatory in
>> old
>> kernels, and now CFQ) can achieve higher read to write ratios.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Corrado
>>
>> On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 11:01 AM, gaoqiang <gaoqiangscut@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,all
>>>
>>> I have long known that deadline is read-prefered. but a simple
>>> test gives the opposite result.
>>>
>>> with two processes running at the same time,one for read and one
>>> for write.actually,they did nothing bug IO operation.
>>> while(true)
>>> {
>>> read();
>>> }
>>> the other:
>>> while(true)
>>> {
>>> write();
>>> }
>>>
>>> with deadline IO-sched and ext4 filesystem.as a result, read
>>> ratio was about below 3M/s.and write about 100M/s. I have tested both
>>> kernel-2.6.18 and kernel-2.6.32,getting the same result.
>>>
>>> I add some debug information in the kernel and recompile,found
>>> that,it has little to do with IO-sched layer because read request
>>> dropped
>>> into deadline was 5% of write request .from /proc/<pid>/stack,the read
>>> process hands on sync_page most of the time.
>>> what is the matter ? anyone help me ?
>>> --
>>> in
>>> More majordomo info at
>>> http://vger.kernel.org/**majordomo-info.html<http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html>
>>>
>>> Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/
>>>

> --
> 使用 Opera 革命性的电子邮件客户程序: http://www.opera.com/mail/

dott. Corrado Zoccolo mailto:czoccolo@gmail.com
PhD - Department of Computer Science - University of Pisa, Italy