SubjectRe: 3.5-rcX: USB support without udev?
On Sun, Jul 01, 2012 at 10:41:18PM +0200, Henrik Rydberg wrote:
> > Kernel built from the standard kernel.org tree. All
> > drivers needed at boot time are built-in, except now there's probably
> > something missing on the USB side of things. No initrd.
>
> Are modules turned off as well?

No. The only drivers that are built-in are the ones I need at boot time
and/or continuously thereafter. Everything else is modular.

> I cannot see your attached files, but is there any chance this is
> about HID, not USB?

Posted a follow-up message immediately when I realized I forgot to
include the config file :-(. Yes, it very well *could* be a HID issue.
I was quick to blame it on a deprecated feature that finally got
removed, when this might well have been a "disguised" regression.

> > Per the syslog entries I included in my initial post on this thread, the
> > only difference between the pre- and post- usbfs removal cases seems to
> > be whatever is needed for the input subsystem to see the USB keyboard
> > and mouse. I see the USB hubs and attached devices getting detected,
> > but whatever "glue" allows the keyboard and mouse to work isn't there,
> > and the input subsystem doesn't emit the expected messages at boot time.
>
> If you did a 'make oldconfig' on anything prior to -rc5, chances are
> you do not have CONFIG_HID_GENERIC=y in your .config.

That might well be the missing "glue." I'm building -rc5 as I type
this. Should have an answer in a few hours. Thanks for the clue!

--Bob

  Last update: 2012-07-02 02:01    [W:0.068 / U:15.192 seconds]