    SubjectRe: [git pull] drm intel + exynos fixes
    Date
    On Fri, 8 Jun 2012 15:23:15 -0700, Linus Torvalds <torvalds@linux-foundation.org> wrote:
    > On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 3:12 PM, Chris Wilson <chris@chris-wilson.co.uk> wrote:
    > >
    > > So it falls back to
    > > load-detection, which in your case it cannot do since all the available
    > > pipes are assigned and so it just reports the VGA connection as unknown.
    >
    > Btw, it's a singularly stupid decision to say "Ok, I *know* I have a
    > monitor on output X, and I have no clue what-so-ever what I have on
    > output Y, and no indication there is anything even there, so let me
    > just degrade the output on output Y just in case".

    And that was my point. You were blaming the patch for making you aware
    of existing behaviour that results in utter confusion, for as Alex
    points out there is no sane way for userspace to handle the unknown
    connection status from the detection routine. As such it is probably
    better if that was handled internally as "result indeterminate; do not
    update current detection status" which is the behaviour of some of the
    drm helpers but uniformly. If that were true, then userspace would
    continue to be told that the connection status was disconnected until
    a monitor was plugged in.
    -Chris

      Last update: 2012-06-09 01:41    [W:0.021 / U:0.832 seconds]