SubjectRe: [patch] mm, thp: abort compaction if migration page cannot be charged to memcg
(2012/06/26 9:32), David Rientjes wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Jun 2012, Rik van Riel wrote:
>
>> The patch makes sense, however I wonder if it would make
>> more sense in the long run to allow migrate/compaction to
>> temporarily exceed the memcg memory limit for a cgroup,
>> because the original page will get freed again soon anyway.
>>
>> That has the potential to improve compaction success, and
>> reduce compaction related CPU use.
>>

> Yeah, Kame brought up the same point with a sample patch by allowing the
> temporary charge for the new page. It would certainly solve this problem
> in a way that we don't have to even touch compaction, it's disappointing
> that we have to charge memory to do a page migration. I'm not so sure
> about the approach of temporarily allowing the excess charge, however,
> since it would scale with the number of cpus doing compaction or
> migration, which could end up with PAGE_SIZE * nr_cpu_ids.

I don't think it's problem. Even if there are 4096 cpus, it's only 16MB
on that system, which tends to have terabytes of memory.
(We already have 32pages of per-cpu-cache....)

I'd like to post that patch with updating to mmotm.

> I haven't looked at it (yet), but I'm hoping that there's a way to avoid
> charging the temporary page at all until after move_to_new_page()
> succeeds, i.e. find a way to uncharge page before charging newpage.

Hmm...this code has been verrry racy and we did many mis-accounting.
So, I'd like to start from a safe way.

THanks,
-Kame

  Last update: 2012-06-26 06:01    [W:0.062 / U:0.180 seconds]