SubjectRe: Custom kernel version numbers
Greg KH wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 08:25:30AM +1000, Chris Jones wrote:
>> Is there a general rule against giving a version number to a custom
>> kernel if credit is given to the base kernel version?
> You have the code, you can number it however you want.

Would not want to offend anyone. And if I were to do that, I would
always put reference to what base kernel my custom kernel was built upon.

> But, if you want others to have some clue as to what kernel you are
> running for whatever reason (support, community help with problems,
> etc.) I would recommend using the kernel.org release numbers and adding
> onto that like all of the major Linux distros do already.
>
> What were you thinking of numbering your kernel?

I never got that far. Keeping the kernel version and just adding my own
version number to the end might be the way to go.

Cheers

--
Chris Jones @ kernel.devproject@gmail.com
and oracle.kerneldev@gmail.com

OpenSUSE Linux x86_64 (PC)|Android (Smartphone)|Windows 7 (Laptop)|Windows XP (Gaming)
Kernel developer|Lead Developer of SDL|Lead Developer of Nest Linux|Gamer and Emulator nut|Web Services|Digital Imaging Services
Controllers: Rapier V2 Gaming mouse|Logitech Precision|PS3 controller|XB360 controller|Logitech Attack 3 j/stick
Emulators: Fusion|Gens|ZSNES|Project64|PCSX-R|Stella|WinVICE|WinUAE

  Last update: 2012-06-23 12:01    [W:0.112 / U:46.644 seconds]