SubjectRe: [Ksummit-2012-discuss] [ATTEND or not ATTEND] That's the question!
From
On Sat, Jun 16, 2012 at 07:29:06AM -0600, Jonathan Corbet wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Jun 2012 12:50:05 +0200 (CEST)
> Thomas Gleixner <tglx@linutronix.de> wrote:
>
> > A good start would be if you could convert your kernel statistics into
> > accounting the consolidation effects of contributions instead of
> > fostering the idiocy that corporates have started to measure themself
> > and the performance of their employees (I'm not kidding, it's the sad
> > reality) with line and commit count statistics.
>
> I would dearly love to come up with a way to measure "real work" in
> some fashion; I've just not, yet, figured out how to do that. I do
> fear that the simple numbers we're able to generate end up creating the
> wrong kinds of incentives.

I can't see any alternative to explaining what somebody did and why it
was important.

To that end, the best resource for understanding the value of somebody's
work is the lwn.net kernel page--if their work has been discussed there.

So, all you need to do is to hire a dozen more of you, and we're
covered!

--b.