SubjectRe: Partitions: Amiga RDB partition on 2 TB disk way too big, while OK in AmigaOS 4.1
Date
<Martin@lichtvoll.de> wrote:

> >> 16 TB = 2 TB * 8. Perhaps they increased the block size from 512 to
> >> 4096?
> >
> > I hope to get anything back from the AmigaOS 4 developers.
> >
> >> block/partitions/amiga.c reads the block size from
> >> RigidDiskBlock.rdb_BlockBytes,
> >> but after conversion to 512-byte blocks, all further calculations
> >> are done on "int", so it will overflow for disks larger than 2 TiB.
> >>
> >> Note that in your profile-binary.img, the field is 0x200, i.e. 512
> >> bytes per block,
> >> so I'll have to get a deeper look into your RDB first...
> >
> > Okay, thanks!
> >
> > I did not get any information regarding the current size limit yet.
> >
> > Strangely on AmigaOS 4.1 all values seem to be fine except for the
> > total sectors value.
>
> > And on Linux begin and end cylinders are correct, only size is off:
> Ah, you DO know that "cylinders, surfaces, and tracks" are polite
> fictions in AmigaOS, don't you? Start and End blocks are all that
> matter on a real Amiga. The fictions arose because at first it was
> thought they could be used to optimize disk accesses. Once drives
> were notched these values became meaningless. So they're created on
> the fly picking values out of the nose or something. (RDPrep tries
> to find reasonable size factors for the total block counts.)

I know there are pure fiction on Linux as well. As in any other modern
operating system.

Actually Media Toolbox shows both. Physical and logical sizes. See the
screenshots I attached to the bug report.

> > merkaba:~> amiga-fdisk -l /dev/sdb
>
> Are you sure "amiga-fdisk" is not broken?

Not at all, but there is also the syslog.

> > Disk /dev/sdb: 3 heads, 16 sectors, 81396441 cylinders, RDB: 0
> > Logical Cylinders from 43 to 81396440, 24576 bytes/Cylinder
> >
> > Device Boot Mount Begin End Size Pri BBlks
> > System /dev/sdb1 * 43 65536043 1572864024 0
> > 0 Linux native /dev/sdb2 * 65536044 78643244
> > 314572824 0 0 [unknown] /dev/sdb3 * 78643245
> > 81396440 66076704 0 0 Amiga FFS Int.
> >
> > But not only from the first, also of the second and third one it
> > seems.
> >
> > 65536043 - 43 = 65536000
>
> So the size in bytes is 24 times the byte offset of the start of the
> next partition. Fascinating. Let's see. You are working in 512 byte
> blocks it looks like. With RDBs in blocks that means you can get up to
> 1099511627776 bytes, 2147483648 blocks, or 44739242. So you are
> already WAY over what can be expressed in the 32 bit values in the
> RDBs. So the software that prepared your partitioning needs some
> repair work of some sort or something other than traditional Amiga FFS
> format disks.
>
> The first thing on the agenda is "fixing" the partitioning software. Is
> the version of Amiga FFS you are using cognizant of 64 bit values? If
> not you will have to go to block sizes larger than 512 bytes. It looks
> like 1k is suitable for this instance. Given the way Amiga FFS stores
> data on the disk I'd go for 4k or 8k block sizes unless you have lots
> of very small files.

Is there still something to fix in there? Just still catching up the mail
exchange. From what I could see on AmigaOS 4.1 all seemed well. I already
reported the negative sector count value.

Anyway, if there is an issue left we can discuss this privately. This
would have nothing to do with Linux and I can make sure that current
AmigaOS developers hear about your oppinion.

Ciao,

  Last update: 2012-06-18 23:41    [W:0.049 / U:0.208 seconds]