    SubjectRe: AMD FX CPU bug, not fixed by latest microcode?
    Boszormenyi Zoltan wrote:
    >>> Similar errors happened during copying large files on the same
    >>> machine but it seems it's enough to trigger if the total amount
    >>> of data read is large enough.
    >>
    >> Does "large enough" mean "large enough so that they are not in the file
    >> cache"?
    >>
    > "Large enough" means it's usually not in file system cache

    If you could see a change while it's in the cache, you could rule
    out the disks.

    >> All caches and your memory are ECC protected,
    >
    > Unfortunately the memory is not with ECC.

    Sorry, I misread your mail.

    This means that you cannot rule out bad memory.

    >> so I think it is unlikely
    >> that the problem is with these. If I had to guess, I'd point to your
    >> disk (firmware) or the SATA controller. (A bad or loose SATA cable
    >> would throw CRC errors into the kernel log. Are there any?)
    >
    > The disks (8 of them) are attached to 3ware 9650SE-8LPML in RAID10.
    > tw_cli reports no problems.

    Could you check whether the same happens with some disk connected to
    the on-board SATA controller? Or while copying around lots of data
    inside a RAM disk?

    >> What is the exact offset of the changed byte in the file? (It might be
    >> at a cacheline, sector, or page boundary.)
    >
    > The bad character is at offset 0x4b74.

    That's completely random, i.e., probably an hardware error.

    >> http://support.amd.com/us/Processor_TechDocs/48063_15h_Mod_00h-0Fh_Rev_Guide.pdf
    >
    > The "no fix planned" for every errata is saddening...

    It's good news, because none of them actually matter.

    Regards,
    Clemens