    SubjectRe: Making ARM multiplatform kernels DT-only?
    On Friday 04 May 2012, Rob Herring wrote:
    > On 05/04/2012 07:20 AM, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
    > > On Thursday 03 May 2012, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:

    > > My plan is to have multiplatform kernels in parallel with what we have now,
    > > so we can avoid breaking working machines but also play with multiplatform
    > > configurations at the same time for a subset of the platforms and with
    > > certain restrictions (not all board files, not all drivers, no generic
    > > early printk, ...).
    > >
    > Many of the headers are simply platform_data structs which may still be
    > needed on DT platforms, but could be moved elsewhere

    Yes, as Russell pointed out, these really should go to
    include/linux/platform_data/. My patchset take a few shortcuts there right
    now, adding an ugly hack to redirect the header files from their current
    locations so I can avoid all the hard work to do that.

    > >> We still have irqs.h being SoC dependent, and we still haven't taken
    > >> debug-macros.S far enough along to get rid of that.
    > >
    > > I believe the irqs.h conflict is only for the NR_IRQS constant, all other
    > > defines in there should only be used inside of the mach-* directory,
    > > or not at all for fully DT-based platforms.
    > A DT-enabled platform does not need irqs.h or NR_IRQS. SPARSE_IRQ should
    > be selected for DT. However, some DT enabled platforms don't have all
    > irq chips converted to domains and may still need to set the mach .nr_irqs.

    Ah, good to know. I hadn't realized that the #include <mach/irqs.h> in asm/irq.h
    is already conditional.

     \ /
      Last update: 2012-05-04 21:21    [W:0.042 / U:6.520 seconds]