    SubjectRe: Boot failure since 3.3-rc?
    Problem solved.

    At some point between 3.3-rc3 and 3.3-rc4, something has made the uuids
    in /dev/disk/by-uuid/ different from the uuids that are embedded in md
    raid member v 0.90 metadata.

    Failure at my end was caused by my adding (mdN) entries to
    /bot/grub/device.map at some time in the past, mapping them to the
    entries there.

    Changing said entries to point to symlinks in /dev/disk/by-id solved
    this for me.

    Problem was compunded by the use of initrd since, as one will readily
    surmise post-hoc, a kernel with no other problems will boot if the
    corresponding initrd image was built under a kernel with the old
    behaviour wrt. to /dev/disk/by-uuid mappings, thus prompting one to "git
    bisect good", whereas the kernel built while being booted in that
    kernel, with the initrd image being built under it will fail if it
    exhibits the new behaviour, leading to an off-by-one in the binary
    search of git bisect.

    This mail is meant jointly as a "problem solved" message to this list,
    and as explanation for posterity if someone else happens to run into
    similar problems.

    Initial confusion was mainly due to the lack of an attached monitor, the
    acquirement of which showed the eroor to be one of failure to mount the
    root fs, and even if that might have been seen via netconsole, I decided
    to order one before realising that some of the kernels would label my
    two ethernet cards differently than what udev picked up at one time and
    made permanent...

    In closing: Thank you all for your input and sorry for the noise.

    Best regards,

    Sune Mølgaard

    --
    Nothing exists except atoms and empty space; everything else is
    opinion.