lkml.org 
[lkml]   [2012]   [May]   [17]   [last100]   RSS Feed
Views: [wrap][no wrap]   [headers]  [forward] 
 
Messages in this thread
/
From
Subject[PATCH 00/13] Block cleanups (for bcache)
Date
From: Kent Overstreet <koverstreet@google.com>

Couple related things in this patch series. This is mostly stuff I did for
bcache, polished/expanded up a bit:

* Bio pool freeing. This moves freeing of bios allocated from bio pools into
generic code.

* Kill bi_destructor. That was Tejun's idea, but it turned out to be easier
than I expected.

* Improved bio splitting. This was originally part of bcache, but I pulled it
out and replaced the existing bio splitting code with it.

* Closures - this is from bcache. I didn't really need to use it for the next
patch, but IMO it makes the code a bit more elegant.

* Make generic_make_request() handle arbitrary size bios. I think this is
going to enable a lot of cleanups in the future.

The idea here isn't for generic_make_request() to be doing the splitting in
practice long term, it's more just an intermediate stage. If this goes in, I
think a lot of driver code - certainly a lot of virtual block drivers -
could easily be made to handle arbitrary sized bios, and splitting will only
happen when a bio is being redirected to two different devices or something
like that. But this should enable a lot of cleanups without having to change
every block driver first.

Kent Overstreet (13):
block: Generalized bio pool freeing
dm: kill dm_rq_bio_destructor
block: Add bio_clone_bioset()
block: Add bio_clone_kmalloc()
block: Only clone bio vecs that are in use
block: Add bio_reset()
pktcdvd: Switch to bio_kmalloc()
block: Kill bi_destructor
block: Add an explicit bio flag for bios that own their bvec
block: Rework bio splitting
Closures
Make generic_make_request handle arbitrarily large bios
Gut bio_add_page()

Documentation/block/biodoc.txt | 5 -
block/blk-core.c | 119 +++++++-
drivers/block/drbd/drbd_req.c | 18 +-
drivers/block/osdblk.c | 3 +-
drivers/block/pktcdvd.c | 121 +++-----
drivers/block/rbd.c | 12 +-
drivers/md/dm-crypt.c | 9 -
drivers/md/dm-io.c | 11 -
drivers/md/dm.c | 48 +--
drivers/md/linear.c | 6 +-
drivers/md/md.c | 42 +---
drivers/md/raid0.c | 8 +-
drivers/md/raid10.c | 23 +-
drivers/target/target_core_iblock.c | 9 -
fs/bio-integrity.c | 44 ---
fs/bio.c | 407 ++++++++++++-----------
fs/exofs/ore.c | 5 +-
include/linux/bio.h | 37 ++-
include/linux/blk_types.h | 9 +-
include/linux/blkdev.h | 3 +
include/linux/closure.h | 614 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
lib/Kconfig.debug | 8 +
lib/Makefile | 2 +-
lib/closure.c | 363 +++++++++++++++++++++
24 files changed, 1419 insertions(+), 507 deletions(-)
create mode 100644 include/linux/closure.h
create mode 100644 lib/closure.c
--
1.7.9.rc2



\
 
 \ /
  Last update: 2012-05-18 06:42    [from the cache]
©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans