SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] new mailmap file for the linux kernel git repository
2012/5/16 Joe Perches <joe@perches.com>:
> On Wed, 2012-05-16 at 16:25 +0200, Philipp Riemer wrote:
>> This leads to the fact that many people have
>> typos in there names or use ".local" or ".(none)" email addresses.
>> Hence, Git supports .mailmap files to overcome this and correct known
>> mistakes.
> []
>> But I would say that
>> this file is as good as done.
>
> Why add these entries at all again?
Due to the research for my thesis, I tried to find out how many
developers are contributing to the Linux Kernel. First I thought that
this would be easy since there was already a mailmap file that
contained information about ambiguous email addresses. But I
discovered pretty fast that there were more names with typos etc. so
that I started to add those to the file as well.

> For instance, my name is listed once in your patch.
> and I don't see a reason it should be entered at all.
Your name appears in the list because I did a search and you are
listed with three "different" entries:
* Joe Perches <joe@perches.com>
* joe@perches.com <joe@perches.com>
* Joe Perches <joe@perches.ccom>

Actually, I just realized that I even forgot to add the entry for the
".ccom" and will add it before re-submitting.

> Many developers share a common name and some of
> these entries may be not be correct.
I will re-check every entry again (based on the type of contribution/
part of interest/ company) before re-submitting.

> Some developers purposefully use multiple email
> addresses to allow direct responses to be categorized
> on receipt.
I must agree that I did not consider this point. I will have a look
and might change some entries accordingly.

Thank you very much for your feedback.

  Last update: 2012-05-16 19:21    [W:0.128 / U:0.376 seconds]