[lkml]   [2012]   [May]   [10]   [last100]   RSS Feed
    SubjectRe: Regression due to 7ff9554 "printk: convert byte-buffer to variable-length record buffer"
    On 05/10/2012 02:26 PM, Kay Sievers wrote:
    >>>>>>>> hangs. To solve this, I reverted:
    >>>>>>>> 7ff9554 printk: convert byte-buffer to variable-length record buffer
    >>>>>>>> In order to build, I also had to revert:
    >>>>>>>> c4e00da driver-core: extend dev_printk() to pass structured data
    >>>>>>>> Note: I'm running on an ARM system using a serial console, with
    >>>>>>>> earlyprintk enabled.
    >>>>>>> This issue still occurs in next-20120510.
    >>>>>>> I've tracked it down to the assignment of msg->ts_nsec near the end of
    >>>>>>> log_store(). If I comment this out, everything works. The problem is the
    >>>>>>> assignment, not the call to local_clock():
    >>>>>>> fails:
    >>>>>>> msg->ts_nsec = local_clock();
    >>>>>>> fails:
    >>>>>>> msg->ts_nsec = 0;//local_clock();
    >>>>>>> works:
    >>>>>>> //msg->ts_nsec = local_clock();
    >>>>>> Weird.
    >>>>>> What happens if you change it to:
    >>>>>> cpu_clock(logbuf_cpu);
    >>>>>> ?
    >>>>>> If it works, the timestamps look ok?
    >>>>> I doubt that would work - after all, assigning 0 fails, but not
    >>>>> performing the assignment at all works. But, I'll go try it...
    >>>> Calling cpu_clock() instead of local_clock() fails in the same way.
    >>> Ok, didn't really see the assign to 0 you tried, sorry. :)
    >>> And 'dmesg' works when you run the box with the line commented out?
    >>> And 'cat /dev/kmsg'?
    >> Yes, both work and produce reasonable output.
    > Really weird. I have zero ideas at what this could be. The messages in
    > /dev/kmsg have seqnums, you see the 0 as the first?
    > 5,0,0;Linux version 3.4.0-rc6+ ...
    > 6,1,0;Command line: root=/dev/sda1 ...
    >> "cat /dev/kmsg" does hang
    >> at the end of the log until I CTRL-C it - is that expected?
    > Yeah, 'cat' is a blocking read(), tools would use poll().

Found the bug. __log_buf isn't correctly aligned, so the very first
    message gets the struct log written to an unaligned address. Subsequent
    entries would be correctly aligned in log_store(), except the kernel has
    already crashed by then.

The ts_nsec field is a 64-bit write, which triggers the alignment
    requirement. I'm not quite sure why the previous 16-bit writes for the
    various len fields didn't experience an issue, since __log_buf ended up
    at an odd address for me. Perhaps ARM doesn't have an alignment
    requirement for 16-bit writes, but does for 32-bit and greater.

I'll post a patch in a minute.

Last update: 2012-05-11 00:41    [W:0.028 / U:0.932 seconds]