    SubjectRe: RFC: deprecating/removing the legacy mode of devpts
    On 04/08/2012 03:18 PM, Alan Cox wrote:

    > Ok I'm putting my tty maintainers hat on at this point because nobody
    > seems to be listening
    >
    > I'm NAKking this change, I'm NAKking the feature-removal change.
    >
    > If you want this to change convince the distributions there is a point in
    > supporting it. This is the *wrong* forum to force a cornercase feature
    > onto a bazillion users, and the wrong way to strongarm maintainers of the
    > relevant user space.
    >
    > If udev has a problem handling it nicely because of the way the link is
    > generated then *fix that problem* so udev automatically gets both cases
    > right. If need be we can add more messages to udev to tell it what is
    > expected and what devtmpfs should produce.

    What if it turns out we can make udev/devtmpfs make this happen
    transparently (which it sounds like it might be possible)? Would you be
    okay with removing the "implicit bind mount" property of the current
    devpts then?

    -hpa

      Last update: 2012-04-09 00:29    [W:0.022 / U:0.372 seconds]