SubjectRe: RFC: deprecating/removing the legacy mode of devpts
On Sat, 07 Apr 2012 11:36:26 -0700
"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@zytor.com> wrote:

> Currently, devpts supports a legacy mode where only one instance exists.
> For backwards compatibility, this is also the default mode, but the
> right thing should be to migrate everyone over to the "newinstance" scheme.
>
> However, it is increasingly clear that that is not happening; neither
> the distros nor udev support this by default at this point.

Well maybe thats because the legacy mode works perfectly well for most
purposes and does what they want. The "non-legacy" mode is really not
"non-legacy" its "special case extra funkiness".

With my tty hat on I'd prefer to keep it indefinitely if need be. It's
hardly a maintainability issue or a hot problem. We've got much bigger
turds to juggle than that.

I don't see why we need an agendum to force the users into making changes
that really don't matter. I mean we still support BSD ptys 8)

Alan

  Last update: 2012-04-07 21:21    [W:0.076 / U:0.328 seconds]