    SubjectRe: USB storage SCSI EH oops
    On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 3:29 PM, Linus Torvalds
    <torvalds@linux-foundation.org> wrote:

    > Confirmed.
    >
    > I tested twice: with that patch, the oops is repeatable, and happens
    > something like 30 seconds after plugging in the USB thing into the
    > monitor.
    >
    > With that patch reverted, the thing still doesn't *work*, but I don't
    > get the oops. Instead, I get the appended noise in my dmesg..

    .. and the reason that card reader has trouble seems to be that it's
    just too damn old, and doesn't understand SD-HC cards. It works fine
    with old SD cards.

    So the reader is fine (well, apart from being too old), USB-storage is
    fine, but the SCSI error handler is broken.

    Even with that commit reverted, once the SCSI layer has decided to
    off-line the device, you can't get it back, even if you remove the
    media and insert a non-HC SD card. You have to unplug and re-plug the
    reader. That seems to be a slight misfeature of SCSI error handling,
    but compared to oopsing, it's minor.

    Linus

      Last update: 2012-04-15 00:51    [W:0.025 / U:0.456 seconds]