SubjectRe: [ 00/78] 3.3.2-stable review
On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 06:43:06PM +0300, Felipe Contreras wrote:
> I understand you use 'stable' as guarantee, and I know it works, but
> do you *need* this guarantee?
>
> And before you go on why you need this guarantee to avoid fixes to be
> lost, this is an *entirely different thing*; we are not talking about
> fixes in 'stable' that don't exist in mainline--for which there is
> evidence that those caused problems in the past, we are talking about
> reverting patches from 'stable' that are not part of the upstream
> release from where the 'stable' branch was forked--*nobody* has showed
> any evidence that this has happened before and caused issues.

Why make a special case for the version from which stable was derived ?
That doesn't make sense at all to me since by definition, *all* patches
that are in stable were not in this version !

Take it simpler if you want : *all* patches in stable need an upstream
commit ID, whether they're backports or reverts. You don't revert a
patch from stable, you backport a revert from upstream.

Willy

  Last update: 2012-04-14 18:05    [W:0.097 / U:0.240 seconds]