    SubjectRe: Control page reclaim granularity
    Hi Minchan,

    Sorry, I forgot to say that I don't subscribe linux-mm and linux-kernel
    mailing list. So please Cc me.

    IMHO, maybe we should re-think about how does user use mmap(2). I
    describe the cases I known in our product system. They can be
    categorized into two cases. One is mmaped all data files into memory
    and sometime it uses write(2) to append some data, and another uses
    mmap(2)/munmap(2) and read(2)/write(2) to manipulate the files. In the
    second case, the application wants to keep mmaped page into memory and
    let file pages to be reclaimed firstly. So, IMO, when application uses
    mmap(2) to manipulate files, it is possible to imply that it wants keep
    these mmaped pages into memory and do not be reclaimed. At least these
    pages do not be reclaimed early than file pages. I think that maybe we
    can recover that routine and provide a sysctl parameter to let the user
    to set this ratio between mmaped pages and file pages.

     \ /
      Last update: 2012-03-08 17:51    [W:0.021 / U:57.188 seconds]