    SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] BFS CPU scheduler version 0.420 AKA "Smoking" for linux kernel 3.3.0
    On 25.03.2012, Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu wrote:

    > I'va always wondered what people are using to measure interactivity. Do we have
    > some hard numbers from scheduler traces, or is it a "feels faster"?

    I guess it's a "feels faster", because it's the only thing that
    counts. Given that there is strong evidence that scheduler A is
    "faster, more interactive", whatever... than scheduler B, but a
    controlled trial shows a significantly better "feels faster"
    experience using scheduler B, I'm quite shure that people would choose
    scheduler B over A, and that's quite ok. It does what they expect it
    to do, despite evidence which documents the opposite.

    > And if it's a subjective thing, how are people avoiding confirmation bias (where you
    > decide it feels faster because it's the new kernel and *should* feel faster)?

    Confirmation bias is one thing, and it does exist. Surely. So it's up
    to the user if it wants evidence, or if it's enough that it feels
    faster. I guess that evidence doesn't really matter for the most of
    the users as long as they have a positive experience.

    > Anybody doing blinded boots, where a random kernel old/new is booted and the
    > user grades the performance without knowing which one was actually running?

    Hey, we could construct a randomized controlled trial on this :-)

    > And yes, this can be a real issue - anybody who's been a aysadmin for
    > a while will have at least one story of scheduling an upgrade, scratching it
    > at the last minute, and then having users complain about how the upgrade
    > ruined performance and introduced bugs...

    Yep. They who have to do "real work" will rather base it on evidence
    than trust their own feelings.

      Last update: 2012-03-28 07:15    [W:0.024 / U:60.896 seconds]