    Subject[00/16] enable pr_debug during module initialization
    Date

    This is 4th revision of the dyndbg modinit patches, implementing the
    "fake" module param approach proposed by Thomas Renninger, back in
    https://lkml.org/lkml/2010/9/15/397

    rev1.1:
    stored queries for loadable modules on pending list
    http://lkml.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/1107.3/00627.html

    rev2: http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/1262934

    changes since rev2:

    - rev2 Patches 1-17/25 sent Dec 11 were added to driver-core-next,
    subsequent revs rework 18-25, renumbered.

    - reworked onto linux-next, to include Pawel Moll's initcall-level
    params patch. Im not using this feature, but I didnt know that when
    I started.

    - dropped "protect dyndbg, BUILD_BUG_DECL", which caused compile err
    if module author added his own dyndbg param declaration, Rusty said:
    "if dev added it, he probably meant it"

    - dropped noisy pr_* in initcall_level stuff, per Rusty.

    rev3:
    https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/3/14/469
    changes since:
    - added comment, commit-msg explaining repeat use of parse-args.
    - deprecate "ddebug_query=" rather than remove it.
    - refactor 2 callbacks to use common helper.
    - more aggressive early_initcall, not core_initcall RFC
    - debugfs init via fs_initcall, not module_init RFC

    Core of patchset is 2 callbacks, called from parse_args:

    For builtin modules, dynamic_debug_init() calls parse_args(...,
    &ddebug_dyndbg_boot_param_cb) to handle dyndbg and $module.dyndbg
    params. For loadable modules, load_module() calls parse_args(),
    passing &ddebug_dyndbg_module_param_cb to handle dyndbg args given by
    modprobe.

    Callbacks get extra arg, which is either modulename or "Booting
    Kernel" as passed by start_kernel to parse_args(). The arg allows
    foo.dyndbg="func bar +p; func buz +p" to exclude the "module foo" 2x,
    saving space in the limited cmdline buffers. Both callbacks call
    ddebug_exec_queries() to activate the specified pr_debug callsites.

    0001-init-trivial-tweaks-to-initcall_levels.patch
    This adds pr_info for each initcall-level, yielding 7 lines in dmesg
    like:
    initlevel:6=device, 172 registered initcalls

    I dropped the pr_debug added in 2nd rev, which was noisy and not
    useful, init_debug provides similar info and more. This patch is
    decoration only, and can be dropped.

    0002-dynamic_debug-fix-leading-spaces.patch
    whitespace cleanup

    0003-dynamic_debug-replace-if-verbose-pr_info-with-macro-.patch
    I should have done this previously. Ive disregarded a checkpatch
    complaint about wrapping complex macro args in (), since theres plenty
    of similar code in include/*, and a couple attempts to add them
    failed.

    0004-dynamic_debug-change-ddebug_query-core-param-to-dynd.patch
    Change "ddebug_query" to "dyndbg", to match new $module.dyndbg added
    by this patchset.

    0005-params-add-param-name-to-parse_one-s-pr_debug.patch
    Current message doesnt name the param being handled.

    0006-params-add-3rd-arg-to-option-handler-callback-signat.patch
    Add "doing" to lower levels of param handling callchain, supplying it
    to callback added next.

    0007-dynamic_debug-make-dynamic-debug-work-during-module-.patch
    add 2 callbacks to parse dydnbg, module.dyndbg params.
    main patch of set.

    0008-dynamic_debug-deprecate-ddebug_query-suggest-dyndbg-.patch
    adds entry to feature-removal-schedule,
    and warning when ddebug_query is used.

    0009-dynamic_debug-combine-parse_args-callbacks-together.patch
    refactor 2 callbacks, add single helper.

    0010-dynamic_debug-simplify-dynamic_debug_init-error-exit.patch
    add return 0 above goto error target, move non-err code above it.

    0011-dynamic_debug-print-ram-usage-by-ddebug-tables-if-ve.patch
    show ram usage due to CONFIG_DYNAMIC_DEBUG.

    0012-pnp-if-CONFIG_DYNAMIC_DEBUG-use-pnp.dyndbg-instead-o.patch
    Adjust pnp for CONFIG_PNP_DEBUG_MESSAGES. Unchanged since Dec 11th

    0013-dynamic_debug-add-modname-arg-to-exec_query-callchai.patch
    This allows parsing $modname.dyndbg=" func foo +p ; func bar +p"
    without repeating "module $modname" 2x in the value

    0014-dynamic_debug-update-Documentation-Kconfig.debug.patch
    This gets a checkpatch complaint because of long lines in which I
    tweaked flags. I chose to disregard this cuz the lines show real
    output for ~out-of-tree code.

    0015-dynamic_debug-init-with-early_initcall-not-arch_initc.patch
    change arch_initcall to early_initcall, and module_init to fs_initcall.
    This works-for-me, but may be broken on some arches I dont have to
    test on. I dont know why original design used arch_initcall, perhaps
    constraints have changed.

    0016-dynamic_debug-drop-deprecated-ddebug_query-param-cod.patch
    Dont apply til v3.6 or v3.7

    thanks
    Jim Cromie

      Last update: 2012-03-26 01:29    [W:0.027 / U:0.016 seconds]