    SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] DMA-mapping framework updates for 3.4
    On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 12:24 AM, Marek Szyprowski
    <m.szyprowski@samsung.com> wrote:

    >  git://git.infradead.org/users/kmpark/linux-samsung dma-mapping-next
    >
    > Those patches introduce a new alloc method (with support for memory
    > attributes) in dma_map_ops structure, which will later replace
    > dma_alloc_coherent and dma_alloc_writecombine functions.

    So I'm quite unhappy with these patches.

    Here's just the few problems I saw from some *very* quick look-through
    of the git tree:

    - I'm not seeing ack's from the architecture maintainers for the
    patches that change some architecture.

    - Even more importantly, what I really want is acks and comments from
    the people who are expected to *use* this.

    - it looks like patches break compilation half-way through the
    series. Just one example I noticed: the "x86 adaptation" patch changes
    the functions in lib/swiotlb.c, but afaik ia64 *also* uses those. So
    now ia64 is broken until a couple of patches later. I suspect there
    are other examples like that.

    - the sign-off chains are odd. What happened there? Several patches
    are signed off by Kyungmin Park, but he doesn't seem to be "in the
    chain" at all. Whazzup? (*)

    (Btw, I notice the same thing in the tree I pulled from Dave Airlie,
    btw - what the F is going on with samsung submissions - those are
    marked as committed by Dave Airlie, and don't have Dave in the
    sign-off chain at all!)

    - Finally, how/why are "dma attributes" different from the per-device
    dma limits ("device_dma_parameters")

    Hmm?

    Linus

    (*) Btw, I notice the same thing in the tree I pulled from Dave
    Airlie, btw - what the F is going on with samsung submissions - those
    are marked as committed by Dave Airlie, and don't have Dave in the
    sign-off chain at all! Dave?