SubjectRe: [3.3-rc7] sys_poll use after free (hibernate)
On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 6:31 PM, Eric W. Biederman
<> wrote:
> Lucas De Marchi <> writes:
>> How could that happen if the only files that support poll  right now
>> on sysctl are kernel/hostname and kernel/domainname?
>>> Ewww...  The way it was supposed to work (prio to ->poll() madness) was
>>> that actual IO gets wrapped into grab_header()/sysctl_head_finish()
>>> pair.  proc_sys_poll() doesn't do it, so yes, that post-mortem is
>>> very likely to be correct.
>> Yes, it  seems like I forgot to call grab_header() there, sorry for
>> that. I'll prepare a patch and send you later today. I just wonder
>> what is happening to reach that code... :-/
> It looks like it was a combination of the fuzzer doing silly things
> and a removed ctl_table entry being poisoned and having .poll set
> to 6b6b6b6b6b6b6b6b so the guard against calling poll when it is
> nonsense did not trigger.  So your patch should be sufficient
> for now.

What I understood afterwards was:

1. fuzzer calling poll() on files that did support poll
2. modules that created that sysctl entries were removed
3. 'table' was entirely removed (not ->poll).

> Long term we still need a version of poll that is safe to use
> with modules.

I think the way it's now (with my patch taken by Andrew) is safe for
having poll() with modules.

Lucas De Marchi