SubjectRe: [patch v2 0/6] Add TRIM support for raid linear/0/1/10
From
2012/3/20 Shaohua Li <shli@kernel.org>:
> 2012/3/20 Holger Kiehl <Holger.Kiehl@dwd.de>:
>> Hello,

>>> do you have the blktrace data when the benchmark is running, especially
>>> when doing file deletion. I'd like to check the latency of discard in this
>>> case.
>>>
>> It is uploaded on ftp://ftp.dwd.de/pub/afd/test/trim
> Thanks, I'll check it.
Thanks for the testing. The trace data is very helpful. In the intel
SSD, trace data
shows a discard request uses about 1 ~ 3 ms. The filesystem suffers from
fragmentation too, so lots of small discard requests. When ext4 starts doing
discard, it usually uses more than 1 minutes. That's too bad.
If just looking one disk's trace data, there are some extra latencies between
two discard requests. The combined trace data of two disks show the latency
comes from waiting for another disk, so nothing abnormal. I thought we could
do an optimization for this case in the future.
So in summary, discard from the SSDs is slow. When your filesystem is
fragmented, the performance will be terrible.

Thanks,
Shaohua