SubjectRe: Word-at-a-time dcache name accesses (was Re: .. anybody know of any filesystems that depend on the exact VFS 'namehash' implementation?)
On 03/02/2012 05:11 PM, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 5:02 PM, H. Peter Anvin <hpa@zytor.com> wrote:
>>
>> Note that does mean we need a guard page after each and every
>> discontiguous RAM range, not just the last one. Raising that issue
>> since we have had serious bugs in that area in the past.
>
> Are you sure? I didn't think we even *mapped* things at that granularity.
>
> We only really need a guard page at the end of an actual end-of-ram
> where we no longer have page tables and/or could hit device space.

Yes of course. Note that I'm currently pushing for mapping only RAM
regions; we have a lot of bugs and workarounds related to mapping too
much, and the answer to fixing that should be pretty obvious.

> For robustness and actual deployment, I do think that yes, we do want
> to make it an explicit rule.

Definitely. Ideally those pages should be zeroed and mapped readonly.

-hpa

  Last update: 2012-03-03 02:21    [W:0.041 / U:0.208 seconds]