SubjectRe: ext4 bug? last write time precedes last mount time on a writable volume!
From
Thanks for responding Ted.

That would all make sense, if it weren't for the last write time on
the Ubuntu box being earlier than the last mount time, when clearly
the superblock *must* have got modified. Clearly that isn't what
Ubuntu is doing with it. But I guess, given that Ubuntu is different
from OpenSuse and Fedora in this regard, perhaps that's just something
Canonical have changed, intentionally or otherwise.

Andi Kleen was right then, when he offered much the same explanation
to me last week on the list.

> Is there a reason why you particularly care about s_wtime being updated?

Yes and no ;)

It was interesting to me when it seemed like it might be a way to find
the time of the last write to the file system, bugs notwithstanding. A
few public domain info sources suggest this is what it is. I could
have made good use of that in some work I'm doing. But if its not
meant to do that, which certainly makes sense from a performance
perspective, then no.