SubjectRe: [RFD] cgroup: about multiple hierarchies
On Fri, 2012-03-02 at 12:08 +0100, Michal Schmidt wrote:
> And what exactly do you mean by booting? Obviously not booting into a
> full desktop environment, because that requires a lot of features.

Nah, who needs that stuff anyway :-) Note that even my desktop and
laptop work fine without initrd, systemd and CONFIG_CGROUP nonsense. And
while they are bloated with useless crap like *Kit and others, simply
because I can't get myself to rebuild enough to get rid of the
dependencies, I utterly hate them being around.

> If on the other hand you are satisfied with booting into a getty with
> not many services around, in this sense systemd will boot without
> CONFIG_CGROUPS.

Except that it waits a random amount of time, long enough for me to
think the machine didn't come back up and power cycle again. The random
delay is _waay_ longer than a regular reboot cycle and totally destroys
the usability.

> It's recommended not to do that and nobody actively
> tests this setup, but at least systemd will not abort. So it can be used
> to check if the kernel boots and to run some tests.

So you don't recommend people use server type setups? Quality
engineering that!

  Last update: 2012-03-02 12:25    [W:0.107 / U:0.212 seconds]