    SubjectRe: Building BarGraph with LED subsystem

    >>> While making the kernel more complex... esp for a feature which is of
    >>> such limited use.
    > simon> Is the concept of a bargraph of LEDs really a 'limited use'? I
    > simon> can think of several uses... I mean isn't flashing or a heart
    > simon> beat just as limited ;-)
    > Yes, it's a limited use. Are 10% of linux users going to have this
    > hardware and use it?

    OK I'm not making myself clear, apologies for that.

    I'd be proposing a 'ledtrig-thres' module which is totally independent of
    the G27, which would just provide the ability to light (or dark) a LED
    depending on a threshold and value.

    With a bit of extra code (in this module) multiple LEDs could be 'linked'
    to produce a bargraph, by automatically comparing the same value against
    their own thresholds.

    As to the hardware; it could be the G27, a single LED or a matrix of LEDs
    slung off one of the other LED subsystem devices.

    I'd want to show RPMs on my G27, but others could display CPU usage,
    emulate a VU meter/FFT display, have the 'low memory panic light' come on,

    > simon> Once kernel framework is provided it should not need
    > simon> re-compilation on a case by case basis.
    > If the kernel only provides a way to set the brightness of individual
    > LEDs, why can't you do the rest in userspace? What if the user wants
    > to have the LEDs run right to left, or visa versa?

    I'm just wondering whether writing this as a trigger module is of use to
    others. If well defined, lots of uses are possible.

     \ /
      Last update: 2012-03-16 18:37    [W:0.021 / U:6.940 seconds]