SubjectRe: Building BarGraph with LED subsystem

simon> I have a couple of questions about the (user-land) use of the
simon> LED subsystem.

simon> I recently offered a patch for controlling the LEDs of the G27 gaming
simon> wheel, on which the LEDs are arranged in a bar-graph of 5 to show
simon> simulation RPM. The suggestion was to use the LED subsystem, which this
simon> patch implements.

simon> http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-input/msg19747.html

simon> Thinking further about how to about how to control this I was wondering
simon> whether a 'threshold' trigger would be useful. This would allow the use of
simon> value (uint?) to be compare against a threshold and the LED turned on/off
simon> automatically.

simon> The main benefit of doing this as a 'trigger' is that we could 'link' (or
simon> 'sync') multiple LEDs to use the same value input, thus making the
simon> user-land stuff trivial.

While making the kernel more complex... esp for a feature which is of
such limited use. Do it all in userland, it's easier, you can use
floating point math, etc. And to test changes, you don't have to
recompile a module and unload/reload it, etc.

Keeping as much of this in userland is better.

simon> Also I have a question about the default permissions on the LED
simon> controls; Is it possible to register LEDs so that users have
simon> write permission? At present the controls are only accessible
simon> as root.

udev is the answer here. You probably want to make it so that the
LEDs are open to the user logged into the system console or currently
active Xsession.

John

  Last update: 2012-03-16 17:07    [W:0.058 / U:0.212 seconds]