    SubjectRe: linux-next: manual merge of the devicetree tree with the powerpc tree
    On Wed, 2012-03-14 at 09:53 +0800, Gavin Shan wrote:
    > > +#if defined(CONFIG_EEH)
    > > > +static inline struct eeh_dev *of_node_to_eeh_dev(struct device_node *dn)
    > > > +{
    > > > + return dn->edev;
    > > > +}
    > > > +#endif
    > >
    > > Ben, What is this? I don't want the eeh_dev pointer in struct device_node. Up to
    > > now we've avoided putting any reverse references into device_nodes. For everything
    > > else we use a reverse lookup, particularly for devices, to avoid growing the
    > > device_node for each new type of lookup.
    > >
    > It's used to trace the EEH device. When EEH (Enhanced Error Hanlding) is enabled,
    > EEH device will be created against PCI sensitive OF node to trace the EEH state
    > accordingly. Since you don't want see this in struct device_node, we have to change
    > struct eeh_dev for a little bit to so that all struct eeh_dev instances will form
    > a global list and we can search eeh_dev according to the given device_node through
    > the global list.
    > I don't know the policy or rule here for much. I think we can have 2 options.
    > 1. Keep the code as being, and fix it later.
    > 2. Fix it now.

    My bad, it's a mis-review, I thought it was still in pci_dn, I din't
    catch Gavin moving it to device-node.

    Yes, Gavin, we need to do something else, a chained list we walk or
    something like that. For the "fast path" which is when we have a pci_dev
    around, we can either add it to dev_archdata or hijack the pci-dev
    platform_data (I don't think anything uses it, Grant, do you know of
    anything ?)

    The patches are already in -next and I won't rebase, so we need to fix
    it on top of the existing patches. Gavin, can you make a patch that puts
    it back into pci_dn to begin with, then we can contemplate what better
    long term solution we have ?

     \ /
      Last update: 2012-03-14 09:33    [W:0.031 / U:5.732 seconds]