SubjectRe: Fwd: Control page reclaim granularity
From
> The only problem that might happen might be in OOM because we will
> have to include selection points for
> these page-cache pages (proportionately) while finding the most
> expensive process to kill.
> ( I'm talking about the page-cache pages which are not mapped to
> usermode page-tables at all. )
>
> If any usermode application reads in an extremely huge file, whose
> inode has been set to AS_UNEVICTABLE,
> we might want to kill those applications that read in those
> pages(proportionately) so that the guilty application
> can be killed.

On some more thought, I guess for OOM and proprtionate working set accounting,
the approach mentioned by Konstantin (with fake VMA) should work fine
with respect to the
way oom_kill.c accounts for virtual address size of kill candidates.

So, I now think that the best way might indeed be to have a fake VMA
to account for the
page-cache pages not mapped to usermode.

  Last update: 2012-03-13 10:05    [W:0.047 / U:0.072 seconds]