    SubjectRe: Questions about ptrace on a dying process
    On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 7:30 PM, Tim Bird <> wrote:
    >>> Yeah - I may be doing something new here.  Android uses ptrace
    >>> in debuggerd, which is their crash reporting tool, but they wake
    >>> it up with signals before the dying program goes into coredump.
    >> I think ptrace API does not provide guarantees that it is possible
    >> to attach to the process when it coredumps.
    >> It might work in current kernels, but might break in new ones.
    > If it's not too much trouble, it would be nice to continue
    > this behaviour.   Admittedly, my style of crash handling appears
    > to be new, and I don't want to unnecessarily burden the code,
    > but so far it works really well, and currently requires very
    > minimal change to the existing ptrace code.  One thing that's
    > nice about what I'm doing, is that I don't rely on the
    > whole signal state machine of the process to interact with it
    > (since a dying process can't respond correctly).
    > So hopefully, continuing to support ptrace for a dying process
    > won't interfere or burden the existing (rather complex)
    > state processing in the current code.
    > Just for reference, below is the patch I settled on for my own kernel.

    You added yet another quirk to ptrace API - and this API
    already has no shortage of quirks.
    Of course you can maintain it for your kernel, but
    adding it in mainline is a bizarre proposition.

    I'm not even sure that _if_ PTRACE_SEIZE with PTRACE_O_TRACEEXIT
    option works on semi-dead core-dumping process today without
    patching, it is guaranteed to do so in the future.

    > I'm planning taking a look at the PTRACE_SEIZE code to see if it
    > accomplishes what I need, but haven't done that yet.
    > I do have a question, though - how will a tracer know that it can
    > use PTRACE_SEIZE?

    By looking at kernel version.

      Last update: 2012-03-01 20:05    [W:0.022 / U:41.140 seconds]