SubjectRe: getdents - ext4 vs btrfs performance
From
2012/3/1 Chris Mason <chris.mason@oracle.com>:
> On Thu, Mar 01, 2012 at 03:03:53PM +0100, Jacek Luczak wrote:

> Whoa, seekwatcher makes it pretty clear.

Yep, ext4 is close to my wife's closet.

>> > Would you please take reiserfs into account?
>>
>> As of now not (lack of time) but I'm pretty close to consider XFS in
>> the game. Whenever I will have more time and there won't be a pressure
>> on giving host back to production I will redo same tests for reiserfs.
>>
>> Now I'm focused on the userspace sorting results.
>
> reiserfs should have results very similar to ext4.  The directory
> hashing used by reiserfs is going to result in a very random read
> pattern.
>
> XFS will probably beat btrfs in this test.  Their directory indexes
> reflect on disk layout very well.

True, but not that fast on small files.

Except the question I've raised in first mail there's a point in all
those action. We are maintaining host that are used for building
software: random access, lot of small files and dirs (always a co),
heavy parallel IO. We were testing XFS vs ext4 a year ago and XFS was
around 10% slower on build times. We did not - yet - done same on
btrfs. Now we're looking for replacement for ext4 as we suffer from
those issue - but we were not aware of that until stepped into this
issue.

If you would like me to do some specific tests around ext4 and btrfs,
let me know.

-Jacek