SubjectMemory issues with Opteron 6220
Hey,

We're seeing unexpected slowdowns and other memory issues with a new system.
Enough to render it unusable. For example:

Error: open3: fork failed: Cannot allocate memory

at times where there's no real memory pressure:
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 132270720 131942388 328332 0 299768 103334420
-/+ buffers/cache: 28308200 103962520
Swap: 7811068 13760 7797308

The simplest test we've been able to trigger the slowdowns with, is executing
'dpkg -l perl'. On our other systems, this takes a fraction of a second, at
least with a hot cache. Here it takes somewhere between two and four seconds
even when there's no load on the machine. Several other things, including our own
software is similarly slowed down by an order of magnitude or more.

The system is a Dell Poweredge R715, with two eight-core Opteron 6220
processors and 128G of memory. We have several similar systems, such as the one
this should replace: R715, 2x8 core Opteron 6140, 128G memory, and they do not
exhibit any similar symptoms.

We have tried with 2.6.37, 2.6.38, 3.2.5 and 3.3-rc1 with no luck. The
microcode updates from AMD have not helped either.

stracing dpkg -l perl yields
$ time strace -cf dpkg -l perl >/dev/null
% time seconds usecs/call calls errors syscall
------ ----------- ----------- --------- --------- ----------------
95.91 0.017821 1782 10 munmap
3.40 0.000632 1 1181 read
0.35 0.000065 1 77 37 open
[..]
0.00 0.000000 0 2 arch_prctl
------ ----------- ----------- --------- --------- ----------------
100.00 0.018580 2197 49 total

real 0m4.005s
user 0m3.250s
sys 0m0.720s

It might just be a red herring though, since it doesn't account for the real
time anyway. On a functioning system the output looks like:
$ time strace -cf dpkg -l perl >/dev/null
% time seconds usecs/call calls errors syscall
------ ----------- ----------- --------- --------- ----------------
100.00 0.000123 1 117 read
0.00 0.000000 0 160 write
[..]
0.00 0.000000 0 2 arch_prctl
------ ----------- ----------- --------- --------- ----------------
100.00 0.000123 588 47 total

real 0m0.276s
user 0m0.160s
sys 0m0.090s

The two most obvious differences between a system that works and one that does
not, is the newer CPU and newer memory. The older machines have Samsung
M393B1K70CHD-YH9 chips (8G DDR3 1333MHz ECC REG) and new one has Samsung
M393B2G70BH0-CK0 chips (16G DDR3 1600MHz ECC REG)

/proc/cpuinfo:
processor : 15
vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
cpu family : 21
model : 1
model name : AMD Opteron(TM) Processor 6220
stepping : 2
microcode : 0x6000613
cpu MHz : 3000.048
cache size : 2048 KB
physical id : 1
siblings : 8
core id : 3
cpu cores : 4
apicid : 39
initial apicid : 39
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 13
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat
pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt pdpe1gb rdtscp lm
constant_tsc rep_good nopl nonstop_tsc extd_apicid amd_dcm aperfmperf pni
pclmulqdq monitor ssse3 cx16 sse4_1 sse4_2 popcnt aes xsave avx lahf_lm
cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy abm sse4a misalignsse 3dnowprefetch osvw ibs
xop skinit wdt lwp fma4 nodeid_msr topoext perfctr_core arat cpb npt lbrv
svm_lock nrip_save tsc_scale vmcb_clean flushbyasid decodeassists pausefilter
pfthreshold
bogomips : 6000.40
TLB size : 1536 4K pages
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management: ts ttp tm 100mhzsteps hwpstate [9]

DMI info:
Memory Device
Array Handle: 0x1000
Error Information Handle: Not Provided
Total Width: 72 bits
Data Width: 64 bits
Size: 16384 MB
Form Factor: DIMM
Set: 6
Locator: DIMM_B4
Bank Locator: Not Specified
Type: <OUT OF SPEC>
Type Detail: Synchronous
Speed: 1600 MHz (0.6 ns)
Manufacturer: 80CE80B380CE
Part Number: M393B2G70BH0-CK0

If it all seems a bit vague, it's because we're at wits end with how to debug
this issue. Consistent slowdowns and occasional failure to allocate memory for
no apparent reason is what we're seeing. Any help or suggestions is very
welcome.

dmesg is available at http://dev.exherbo.org/~arkanoid/atlas-dmesg-3.2.5.txt
--
Anders Ossowicki

  Last update: 2012-02-08 15:41    [W:0.135 / U:0.084 seconds]