    SubjectRe: "whitespace coding style cleanup" broke coding style
    On Mon, 2012-02-27 at 18:12 +0100, Jiri Slaby wrote:
    > On 02/27/2012 05:52 PM, Joe Perches wrote:
    > > Notice that the code improperly uses commas and
    > > not semicolons for line terminations like the
    > > lines immediately above and below it.
    >
    > Oh, and you see that you made it actually _worse_?

    Actually, no. This changes does highlight a
    nominal code style defect though.

    > The patch should not
    > touch the code at all. It is obviously totally broken. In a separate
    > patch you might do s@,@;@ instead.

    The code in either form is neither broken nor
    incorrect. It's just "out of style".
    Emacs did made it consistent.

    > Hmm, but did not we conclude some time ago that we will not touch code
    > just to perform a whitespace cleanup?

    It's a prelude to other patches so actually
    that's done quite a lot. git blame -w
    doesn't even show my name on any of the
    code in this patch.

    > > It was a first pass and an overall improvement.
    >
    > I hope no other passes are going to happen there or anywhere in TTY
    > drivers. I really do not want to solve zillion collisions in my ~100
    > local patches due to whitespace changes, sorry.

    Perhaps you should submit your ~100 patches sooner
    rather than later. That's a lot of changes that
    could have any number of collisions.

    > Yes, but it does not pass our brain, does it? One should throw
    > "checkpatch --file" or alike away, finally.

    Perhaps you might notice I did not use checkpatch
    as a guide nor as a criteria for submission.

    It was ~5MB patch btw. Compilation was done to
    verify lack of object delta only.

    Thanks for noticing the oddly formatted code.
    I'll send a patch to fix it.

    cheers, Joe

      Last update: 2012-02-27 18:29    [W:0.021 / U:0.432 seconds]